Air Locks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the water levels are uneven it means your wine is gassing co2/so2 and the s lock is working properly. When the two cylinders are both level it means your wine has stopped producing gasses.
This is the number one reason I like the s lock. It's very easy to see when your wine is done or ready for the next step.

Jimmy, you are right that an even level could indicate that there is no CO2 being produced and that fermentation is complete. The levels of the liquid in the airlock could also indicate changes in temperature and/or barometric pressure. When I see that my levels are even, the first thing I do is check to see that the stopper is on tightly.

Good discussion here, Friends.

Agreed.

I forgot to mention the loose bung issue. I often see loose airlocks when people apply them still wet with k meta. The interior neck and stopper should be dry for best results.
Regarding dirty airlocks. What are you guys getting in your airlocks that gets them so filthy?
I just boil some water in a kettle and drop them in when the kettle clicks off. Clean.

Agreed.

I forgot to mention the loose bung issue. I often see loose airlocks when people apply them still wet with k meta. The interior neck and stopper should be dry for best results.
Regarding dirty airlocks. What are you guys getting in your airlocks that gets them so filthy?
I just boil some water in a kettle and drop them in when the kettle clicks off. Clean.

Overflow most of the time.

Do they have an overflow issue?

I just didn't like the way they looked, thus I never purchased any. However after reading these posts I may get a few.

Sorry. I forgot about overflow. Overflow will effect any airlock despite its design. I avoid overflow by dividing my must into 2 buckets. Each full 3/4 when I pitch the yeast.
I then wait a few days until the vigorous fermentation process has stopped (or slowed) and then recombine them into my Demi.
WORD OF CAUTION!
If adding woodchips during your primary fermentation add them to the bucket first then add a small amount of must overtop as most woodchips (especially very fine French oak) produce a vigorous chemical reaction for about 20 minutes.

Latest posts

Back