Mosti Mondiale Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PigPen

Reaction score
I am curious of the maximum shelf life of an all juice or fresh juice, can they make it 5 yrs or more if stores in the proper conditions?

I think the bigger question is: Can you? Make it to 5 years without drinking it? Seriously if you store under good conditions with proper sulfite levels it should make it that long fine.

Not a chance of making it that long.
smiley17.gif

Appleman,
I ordered a testing kit and a bunch of diffrent chemicals to have on hand, as i plan on experimenting with fruit and picked grapes. Any suggustions for a newbie what is a good place tostart? I have 4 wine kits in the process know and am ordering a fresh juice.

That is a great question. I am very interested in aging every kit I have for quite a while. I'm in the bulk aging of a MM Pinot Nior bucket kit right now. On month 2 of 6. After aging this for 6 months I plan on bottling and drinking but with 2 or5 bottles I want to age for years to come 1-10 years.

I have added 1/4 teaspoon of K-Meta allready and don't plan on adding anymore.

Will this be enough K-Meta to keep the wine good for years to come? Storing in a wine fridge at 55 deg.

Pigpen when you ask where to start, do you mean with fresh fruit or what?

donking2010, each kit lists(at least on George's store online) the time to peak. Use that as a guide. You can figure it will last a few years past that, as long as you have good storage and ADEQUATE SO2 levels. If you added 1/4 tsp k-meta and are bulk aging for 6 months, the SO2 will be just about gone. You should test the level and then brin it up to about 50ppm free SO2 before bottling. This is about minimum if you want extended aging.

Thanks appleman for the response.

How do you check the SO2 levels. Would that be with my hydrometer?
Then how would I measure out the K-Meta to bring the SO2 up to 50ppm's in the 6 gallons of wine? Is there a measurement table available to figure that out?

Thanks much!

I read the link and thats great info. thank you.

But i am still confused on SO2. If you thourghly degas by using a vacuum pump for instance, are you affecting the free SO2 level?

The amount of stirring and orvacuum degassingwill reduce the free SO2 slightly: however, the amount it is reduced by is minimal, because rather than up taking oxygen during this process, the wine out-gasses CO2, which actually scrubs some of the oxygen out of the wine.

Not sure if have seen this info I put together for Winestock 07. It has more detailed info on SO2 in addition to pH and TA. It will either help you understand it better or make your head spin!
smiley36.gif

/images/uploads/20071031_043753_pH_Acid_SO2_in_.pps

If you do not have PowerPoint a viewer can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=428D5727-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4&displaylang=enEdited by: masta

Latest posts

Back