Aging Equipment...............

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobe05

Reaction score
No......... The wife is not complaining..........
smiley36.gif

I have just been thinking, with proper care, cleaning, storing and sanitizing every step of the way...... How long is long enough for some of our equipment... Like a fermenter?

My oldest is going on 3 years old now, my youngest is going on 2 years..... How old is old enough before we do something else with them.

Same with hoses, all sizes....... all mine are 3 years old, is that enough?

Can you take old wine equipment and turn it into beer equipment? Can you ferment beer in the same room as wine? I know you can't use beer equipment for wine, but can you wine for beer? Old equipment for 1 or 2 batches of beer?

Thats what I would like to try, a simple beer. So I guess my question is 2 fold:

1). When do you replace old equipment?

2). Can you get a batch or two of beer out of the old equipment?

and if you can, what is a simple beer to make that wouldn't require a bunch of new equipment...... and would taste like a Carona? That or Miller light is about all we would drink..... and that would only be a few a year.

I take very good care of my equipment so there are no scratches. I dont use scrubber pads to clean them, only sanitizer and paper towels so i dont really see ant reason to get rid of them unless there are visible scratches where bacteria can get trapped. As far as hoses, I would replace them now as you cant really get in there to clean them well and they are cheap enough to not take a risk.

Everything you see in this tub of my equipment, soaking in B Brite is at least 2 years old or better. That stuff keeps your equipmen clean, even hoses if you will clean everything immediately after use. I mix up a tub and just chunk my stuff in it as I get through bottling or whatever process I am doing.
DSCN0001-8.jpg

THats what I do also Waldo, but then it gets rinsed in super hot water to insure it's clean, then it gets sanitized and put away. One (of 4) of my primary's is getting what appears to be scrathes i the bottom of it, probably from the mix stirrer since I do do not clean with anything abrasive, just the oxy clean or B bright and a wash cloth.

So, that one primary I'm thinking of taking out of rotation but thought perhaps I could try my hand at making a beer.

We don't like dark beers or strong beers, usually a carona every now and then. I suspect a batch or two of a Carona wanna be kit, would last me a couple of years or so, we are not beer drinkers.

You could use the stuff for beer if it is in good shape and scratch free. I change my hoses regularly but an still using my original primary fermenter. I had a second primary I had got that had only had a couple batches of wine in it that is now my beer primary. I did get a new toy yesterday that will alleviate all of the worries of using between beer and wine. It is a 7 gallon stainless conical fermenter. Supplied is a quick and dirty pic.

Conical.jpg

In regards to a type of beer I would suggest looking at a light American Ale. The beers you suggest you like are lagers which require special fermenting techniques (cold fermentation) that are easy but require the use of a fridge, If you live north and have a constant cool are you can ferment though it is easy to lager. Ales ferment at temps similar to wines.

I just looked at the kits George sells. I don't know if they all ferment the same but from what I see you might like the American Cream Ale, American Light or the Steam Beer. I will add though that it looks like all these kits use the same yeast? Particular types of yeast are required for particular styles to obtain desired results. I am sure George could confirm that though.

I am brewing an all grain Munich Dunkel and Honey Lager tomorrow. Next week I am doing a couple extract kits. One a California Steam beer and an American Brown Ale. My first batch, a Belgian Wit Bier came out fantastic. The wife is really digging having cold draught beer in the house.

Edited by: smurfe

You are really getting into the beer there smurfe.

How about this one

<TABLE =maintable borderColor=#000000 height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 align=center =#ffffcc border=2>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle width="10%">
<DIV align=center>11005 </TD>
<TD width="10%">
brewers_best_sm.gif
</TD>
<TD width="50%">

Amber Cerveza Style

This recipe combines light &amp; amber malts along with rice syrup for a full-bodied brew with a smooth hop finish.</TD>
<TD width="10%">Brewers Best</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Thanks Smurf, and appleman, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Now to read up on making this beer kit and what will it take.

I know this isn't the Beer thread, if it turns to that a Moderator can move it, and I apologize now for it.

Does the Brewers Kit come with everything needed (Except bottles etc...) Like he wine kits do? are these "No Boil" kits? Don't quite know what that means, but I remember that term a while back. I assume I don't have to boil everything in a big outdoor pot (which I do have)...........OK.... Back to reading.

Edited by: jobe05

appleman said:
You are really getting into the beer there smurfe.

How about this one

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 align=center border=2 ="maintable"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle width="10%">
<DIV align=center>11005 </TD>
<TD width="10%">
brewers_best_sm.gif
</TD>
<TD width="50%">

Amber Cerveza Style

This recipe combines light &amp; amber malts along with rice syrup for a full-bodied brew with a smooth hop finish.</TD>
<TD width="10%">Brewers Best</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

I was going to suggest this kit as well but I believe it will be more likea Dos Equis Amber (brown bottle). The Dos Equis Lager (green bottle) is much the same as a Corona but the Amber is a different style. While I like it, it may not be to your tastes if you only care for very light beers. You can always get a 6 pack of it or see if they serve it at your local Mexican eatery to see if you like before you make up a kit.

jobe05 said:
Thanks Smurf, and appleman, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Now to read up on making this beer kit and what will it take.

I know this isn't the Beer thread, if it turns to that a Moderator can move it, and I apologize now for it.

Does the Brewers Kit come with everything needed (Except bottles etc...) Like he wine kits do? are these "No Boil" kits? Don't quite know what that means, but I remember that term a while back. I assume I don't have to boil everything in a big outdoor pot (which I do have)...........OK.... Back to reading.

Jobe, look here to get a description of the kits and instructions.

http://www.ldcarlson.com/public%20catalog/Chapter%2001.htm

Extract kits are very easy to make. You can always start a thread in the beer section for more info. Masta has a good tutorial on beer kits as well.

If you need the ultimate in easy- see if you can find a Red Baron's Kit. They are a no boil kit with everything you need even caps(you do need some type of capper though). The Cervez one is more like the Corona than the Brewer's Best One. The BB one you do need to boil for about an hour in a big kettle and then cool. They finish a bit sweet so may be to your liking.

Anyway George used to carry theBaron's and they did make an excellent quick beer, but George had discontinued the beer lines. Look around and I'm sure you can find one. Easy to start with and then if you like doing the beer- "Graduate" to the Brewer's Best and eventually step up to Smurfe's and Masta's league.Edited by: appleman

Thanks guys, Appreciate all the input you have given. I now have a lot of reading to do, then decide which way to go. I want easy, but if I have te equipment to do a boil kit I may.

Smurf's and Masta's league?......... I don't think so..... I really don't like the taste of beer, and have maybe 3 or 4 beers a year............ Now wine!

I'm going to end this thread about beer for now as to not get to engrossed n a beer conversation versus the original intent, old equipment.

I'm gonna start with all new hoses...., then the stirrer's, then a primary at a time. the equipment has served me well so far, but I don't want to push it. The replaced equipment is cheaper than a kit, so why chance it.

Latest posts

Back