aging commercial wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
Anyone age commercial wines? Not 30 years or anything, but just
curious if anyone buys a 2005 wine and lets it sit for a year or two
before drinking. Also curious if the commercial wines taste
better with an additional year or two of age on them.

Im sure many people do but I dont buy commercial wine because I make my own!
smiley7.gif
Just kidding, but I really dont buy commercial wines at all. If I want to buy a bottle then Ill just buy a kit and ferment it for not a heck of a lot more money and if I dont like it to much then i have some wine to give to others who will. The sulfite levels in commercial wines are typically a lot higher then our wines so aging is not a problem.</font></font>

The average commercial wine is not meant to be aged. I am sure some of the high dollar wines are meant to be collected and aged but from my experience, a bottle of Yellow Tail is about as good as it is gonna get when you buy it. If I buy a wine it is drank immediately. I only buy a commercial wine to try a new varietal to see if I want to make a batch.

I usually age some of my commercial wines 5-10 years. I don't buy as much commercial wine as I used to, but I do belong toa Curtis Winery wine club and get shipments quarterly. Curtis is a Central Coast winery specializing in Rhone style wines, which I love.

Trubador,

I'm with dfwwino on this one - I age my commercial wines, as most of the wines that I purchase ($8-$80 range is the norm) benefit quite a bit from aging. On top of that, my most eye-opening experience with aging was the purchase of a cheap little bottle of 2001 Mirassou Merlot. I had purchased it in 2005 from a restaurant wine inventory reduction sale for kicks and then it sat in my basement until the end of Spring of this year (2007). When my ex-wife needed a bottle for cooking, I was scrambling around looking for something and figured, 'Fritz - why not try this.' So, I popped the cork, took a quick taste to make sure it wasn't off, and said go for it.

There was about 2/3 of the bottle remaining after the required amount for the recipe was removed. While I was hesitant to try it for fear of the results of aging an inexpensive wine so long, I was *amazingly* surprised at the results. It had a rich berry flavor with great mouthfeel and a wonderful finish. So much so was I surprised that I took a completely different look at aging. To date, most commercial wines that fit into the $8+/bottle category seem to do well. It's also seems to help to have a wine that uses a good fruit base instead of a mix of the 'left over' fruit.

Long story longer, I find that most people get confused about the statistic that 90% of wine is consumed in the first 1-2 years after bottling and it gets inccorectly presumed that 90% of wine *should* be consumed in the first year or so.

And for the record, I even age whites - had a very nice 2005 Pietan Albarino on Sunday that has sat for 3 years and hadn't lost a beat with a wonderful crispness/acidity.

When in doubt - buy two bottles (or six) and just keep them aging - get a feel for what works for you. The best part of wine is that it's up to our own taste buds to decide. :)

- Jim

I age most of my commercial wines about 5 - 10 years as well, but I collect Bordeaux, Burgundy, and some Rhone wines. Most of those, when they are sold, are not meant to be drunk right away. Most young french wines like that taste like crap anyways, but they do develop a LOT in the bottle.

I also age my own wines at least 1 year, and like to shoot for more. I have quite a few 2005 vintages now, and even the rare 2004 that I've made.

I just finished the last bottles of my homemadewine from 1997 and 1998 (Blackberry, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Orange Honey Wine). I've got a few homemade bottles still on the rack from 1999 and 2000. Aging improves just about any wine and it can be great watching the wine change over time. Edited by: dfwwino

Trub,

I have been aging commercial wines for over three decades - none of the first ones remain tho
smiley1.gif
Started with '75 Bordeaux and have played with less expensive ones as
well. From my experience, aging is almost always benficial.

The most fun though is finding an inexpensive red which is really
rough, putting it away for a few years, and then discovering it back in
the corner of the cellar ready to drink. Recently, I was at a
dinner where the hostess opened a bottle of 1981 Glen Ellen. It was a
far cry from the new stuff, probably past it's prime, but still
enjoyably drinkable with none of the rough edges of the young wines.

Edited by: Jack on Rainy

Latest posts

Back