Advice for the Soon-To-Be Retired

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last guy I know who retired 2 years ago from firefighting was a high school classmate. He trained and headed off for a through-hike of the Appalachian Trail, an endeavor I'd definitely suggest for you, Dave, if you love the outdoors.

Doug posted pictures of his adventures on Facebook the whole way. It is a long and contemplative trip when you do it all at once. Doug traveled North to South, a more forgiving trek for through-hikers because you are working with the weather. He had a great time and grew a nice beard along the way.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/interactive-map

You would never be without a pic for the "Post a Photo" thread!

Jim, you are spot-on! I have been on parts of the Trail in years past, and always dreamed of hiking the entire way. It has definately been a consideration. I wonder how much wine I could carry...:D

Jim, you are spot-on! I have been on parts of the Trail in years past, and always dreamed of hiking the entire way. It has definately been a consideration. I wonder how much wine I could carry...:D

From Doug's trip...see any houses, cars or power lines? Me neither. I'll see if I can connect you guys.

Last edited:
D D, when I asked my Grandfather about retirement he said"how did I ever have time to work," my father said, before I asked "how did I ever have time to work!" Now retired at 60 my wife at 45, we both say how did we EVER have time for work!! 7 yrs later we still say HOW did we ever have time for work. You will stay busy doing what YOU want to do. I always said " my idea of retirement is building because I want to NOT because i HAVE too!" Same goes for WINE making! Roy

Well, said, Roy! The closer I get, the busier I get. I would hope that I could find time to train for and execute such an endeavor as hiking the AT.

Well, said, Roy! The closer I get, the busier I get. I would hope that I could find time to train for and execute such an endeavor as hiking the AT.

I'll tell you what, Dave. You do it and I'll spend a day or two hiking with you through VA. If you want the company.

I'll tell you what, Dave. You do it and I'll spend a day or two hiking with you through VA. If you want the company.

Well, you may be in luck, my good man! As it turns out, most people begin their thru-hike in Geogia in late March to Early April in order to make it to Maine before cold weather kicks in later in the year. That makes for a rather large crowd (relatively) over the first few weeks down south heading north. An alternative "flip-flop" route involves begining in the middle (Virginia) heading north, then returning to the middle (once you've reached Maine) and heading south, finishing in October in Georgia when the Smokies are cloaked in their Fall colors.

That sounds very attractive to me. I would be shooting for beginning in the Spring of 2016 in your neighborhood. I should be up to speed by then as far as conditioning and preparation---and convincing my wife she'd be ok without me for six months. :a1

Dave, dunno what you mean by "I'm not it." If you want to touch base with Doug, he's willing.

I did make contact with Doug. Seems like a great guy. A wealth of info. Thank you very much, Jim.

As it turns out, Doug gave me the shove I needed. It's settled. I'm undertaking this great adventure! Doing lots of reading already. This is going to be epic! I've moved up my departure date to April of next spring (2015). No use waiting another year.

The best part so far: The look on my wondeful wife's face when I told her what I had planned, and that I'd be gone for six months next year! Priceless!

Dave, you'll not regret it. From watching Doug vicariously, I found out it's a journey in more ways than one.

Doug was probably the second mellowest person at my high school, where we were classmates. I am glad you reached out. Good guy.

I did make contact with Doug. Seems like a great guy. A wealth of info. Thank you very much, Jim.

As it turns out, Doug gave me the shove I needed. It's settled. I'm undertaking this great adventure! Doing lots of reading already. This is going to be epic! I've moved up my departure date to April of next spring (2015). No use waiting another year.

The best part so far: The look on my wondeful wife's face when I told her what I had planned, and that I'd be gone for six months next year! Priceless!

DD,

We have a place in Blaresville Georgia (close to the start of the trail, I believe), and also live close to that iddy, biddy corner of NJ that the trail crosses. Perhaps you could let us know when you are hiking the area (when you have your plans set)? From the reading I have done about hiking the trail, you will be craving a good meal, a hot shower, a washing machine, and a bed to sleep in, by the time you hit NJ. We would be glad to offer all of the above..

If you do pull the trigger on this, might I suggest that WMT set up a new forum so you can post your progress?

John, you are most gracious! We will definately set this up, my friend. A "zero" day is always welcomed on the AT, and I'm sure I could use a glass of wine by the time I get to NJ. I'll be stolling thru Wawayanda State Park about 1350 miles down the trail (lol) sometime during mid July of next year.

From my reading, it seems that cell phone service is available along most of the trail, especially near populated areas, of course. It should be easy enough with my phone and the WMT app to post my progress regularly. Meeting up with you, John, is just a matter of logistics.

Thank you way in advance. Thank you very much! Part of keeping up one's spirits on the AT is having goals to look forward to. You are on my list.

Congratulations Dave !!

I am still counting the years at this point in my life

Dave
I would really enjoy doing that trip ! THis year we did the Grand Teton National Park for a solid week with the Boy Scouts. I have alot of ides if you want to give me a call - We ate like kings due to that we did alot of prep work in dehydration of food and all.

Dave, you will love it. I bet that after a year you will ask yourself, "How in the world did I ever have time to go to work"
Semper Fi

Back