Advice for the Soon-To-Be Retired

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
I am a career firefighter. I've been doing this for the past 27 years. I spent the first 16 years as a firefighter/paramedic, doing everything from catching new born babies to picking up body parts. The past eleven years, I've been an engine driver, rolling around in the biggest truck in town. It has not always been easy, but has always been rewarding.

I became eligible for retirement two years ago at the age of 48. My plan had been to stay another five years or so---until I had to leave---socking away some extra money for later years. But...

Johnna and I stayed up last night drinking wine and talking. I have enough money to retire now, so anything else I save is just gravey. Our plan is to do some round the world and cross country traveling post-retirement. While Johnna has been doing very well lately, she is concerned that she may become unable to travel before I retire. Being disabled, the furture of her condition is obviously unpredictable.

She is a smart woman, and makes a very good case, so...I am changing my plan for her sake, and retire this coming January, 2015, thus giving us the oportunity to do the things we want while we are still young enough and able enough.

I'm looking for advice from the retired members as to how to keep busy that does not include drinking wine 24/7 :dg...

...or washing my car every day...:cw
GO! :fsh

Dave, gardening is a very peaceful hobby that should fit in well with winemaking. Not only try grapes, but gooseberries, tart cherries etc. Lots of cool stuff out there.

You prob wouldn't be interested in my other obsession. Restoration and use of antique sewing machine. Treadles and handcranks, mostly, but I also like earlier metal geared electrics. There is a wonderful world of fab folks who do this and travel around to meet each other and help each other. Also a very useful thing to have around as they are strong machines that can handle denim, curtains etc, even when the electricity had failed.

Hubby does fossil collecting. And we both love our animals.

Pam in cinti

I look forward to your predicament in the next few years. I plan to volunteer at a local State Park or two. In Colorado, they are looking for tour guides and hospitality people. I think that would be fun. I also want to see a baseball game in every major league park. My wife wants to see all the national parks. These goals seem pretty compatible.

Having a medical background, maybe consider volunteering at a local hospital. I work in a trauma center and they are always thrilled to have volunteers helping transport non critical patients, folding linens, sitting with 'drunk and stupid' patients. (wait - is that non PC - oops!).

Plenty of options.

Dave, congratulations on your decision and I wish the best for you and your wife. I think i would like to get into metal detecting but I wonder if it isn't something you could quickly get bored with.

Sounds like a good call Dave. At such a young age of retirement I am sure you will find endless things to keep you busy when your not traveling. I hope you have years and years of travel memories with both you and your wife!

I do know what I will be doing. I will be doing something that has absolutely nothing to do with the medical field or firefighting. It's will be time to shift gears.

Hey, Dave I retired a year ago and just love it. We've been on vacation three times sense retirement. I have a nice hobby shooting, riding my Harley and Honda PCX 150 scooter that I bought last year. My house has been paid off for five years now along with my two bikes. I like to read, tend our garden, and after I retired last year started making bread. I mill our own organic wheat berry's to make whole wheat flour for a healthier bread . And this past winter started our first batch of wine. I have't been bored yet.

Will

DangerDave:

Congratulations to you & the Mrs. First thing is have an idea of what you want to do, then work towards that goal. I realized early on that I liked woodworking. Problem was the U.S. Air Force keep me moving around so it wasn't until I put up the uniform that I found stability. Things don't always work out the way you plan but. . . . I retired from the USAF in CA and stayed there since my wife was a California nut. But she passed away 12 yrs ago. I returned to my home state and set up shop. I am now into my love of woodworking and winemaking (that started some 40 years ago) along with gardening. Best advise: have a plan but be able to adapt.

Mike

Dave I have always admired your label making skills very artistic and professional looking. Maybe you could get something set up with the people from this forum to make and sell affordable labels This could prove to be an interesting hobby for you to keep you busy, to show off your artistic side and interest. Of course we would pay for cost of shipping and material etc. I know this has a lil to do with wine making but just an idea

Congrats Dave and Mrs.!
Spoil the grand kids, travel, share long looks over glasses of wine, and enjoy the rich life you have made together.

(My Mother-in-Law decided to come and clean my house one a week once she retired. I'm not going to argue :r )

Julie, does Dan know your inviting board, stray, firemen over?
It's high time you get sent to the corner if your gonna do things like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

Duster! What Dan don't know won't hurt him! :ft

I think it's very important to have hobbies,an avocation, or something that you're passionate about pursuing to keep you busy in retirement. I'm also an early retiree--retired at age 50. I have LOTS of avocations that I'm working on---days are very busy.

You can't just sit down and take it easy because when you rest--you rust. My dad always said that if you don't feel the pressure of time, you just keep putting things off saying that I'll do it tomorrow--then tomorrow you put it off to tomorrow AGAIN. Do that long enough and YEARS go by with no progress. I have an agenda every day so that I keep moving forward. I keep looking toward the future--just like I did when I was in my 20's and just starting out. I think when you lose that--and start saying,"I'm too old for that," well that's when you DO start getting old. I'm not too old for anything---right now I'm out building more gardens, digging out clay soil and replacing with good soil. A lot of work for older folks, but I don't let anything stop me. Including my painful body!!

Dave I have always admired your label making skills very artistic and professional looking. Maybe you could get something set up with the people from this forum to make and sell affordable labels This could prove to be an interesting hobby for you to keep you busy, to show off your artistic side and interest. Of course we would pay for cost of shipping and material etc. I know this has a lil to do with wine making but just an idea

+1 that! I certainly would be one of his first customers!

I feel your pain dave...

Right now, I could retire, but then my wife (I call her "Left Brain") squashed the whole idea. It went something like this...

Me: I think that I would like to retire..
Her: then what?
me: we could travel
me: I could start a garden
Me: Ok, Perhaps I could put it off for a while.

It is the "Then whats?" that are hard to answer. I am now thinking of part time volunteer work.......

Congratulations Dave! That's awesome you get to retire that young. I'm not retired but when I Do I will just keep doing the things I already enjoy. You like making wine? Make more. You like atv ing. Go more. Like you said traveling. Go for it. I wouldn't come up with some new hobby. From the sounds of it you will have plenty to do anyway. Spend lots of time with your family and have fun.

My folks just retired. Their passion is boating. They bought a bigger boat and started a trip called the great loop. They left lake city Minnesota, boated down the Mississippi and a ton of waterways to the gulf. They then made it to eastern Florida when my mom got sick. They then came home for a year or so. Since then my mom got better. They bought a bigger boat again. Now they have made it to New York City. By fall they should make it through the Great Lakes and back to Minnesota. Point is they have been dreaming of this trip for years and they went for it.

Google rossmans loop if you care to read the blog my mom posts

Latest posts

Back