Adjustable siphon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
I had an adjustable racking tube for years. it died and i cant find another. Before i have to buy a few siphons and cut them, Can anyone help me. I have 5 diferent sizes of carboys :)

I don't really know what an "adjustable racking tube is" (and I ran a win-and-beer making store from 2001 to 2007). But I have used a Fermtech Auto-Siphon in
  • five different 6 US Gallon carboys,
  • 5 USG and 3 USG carboys
  • 1 Imp gallon and 1 USG jugs
  • 4 (or 5) different styles of primary fermenters
  • and water cooler jugs
If you're trying to rack from something taller than about 21", they're not so good.

http://www.fermtech.ca/siphon%20starter/siphon.html

Steve

I dont like auto siphons- That was one of my early mistakes. I just keep it to remind me to be more selective. Ill just cut a few plastic ones to size.

REALLY!! I have all three sizes and love them. Interested in why you don't like them?
Just by readin your post i understand why. I purchased the longest one first. When i tried it on a 3 gallon carboy it was sloppy at best.
I never looked at them again.

Ill get a couple of other sizes now.

Thanks for the tip. :)

I find all I need for gallon, 3 gallon,5 gallon and 6 gallon both Mexican and Italian is the skinny long one. I have 3 sizes of them but the original is too fat for the gallon and some smaller ones. The short one is too short for all but the gallon and the skinny long one is just right for all of them. Just like Goldie Locks.

Ill try the auto siphons but i think that the pumping action may disturb the lees. Now maybe ill just get som standard ones and cut to size. I have most of my toys now so im being finicky lol

scotty:

The pumping action should not disturb the lees. You push the auto-siphon half way into the source vessel, pump a couple of times to get the siphon started, then gently settle the siphon to the bottom.

I use the large size for racking, and the regular size for bottling.

Steve

I agree with Steve about pumping. I lift the plunger tube as I insert it into the wine and then push down when I am about half way into the carboy. The siphon usually starts then and I just set it gently on the bottom off to the side. I then take a wood clamp and when the carboy is half empty set it under the opposite side of the carboy that the racking cane is in. That gently makes the wine deeper on that side so I can get almost every drop of wine out without disturbing the lees. Give it a try!

grapeman...

I prop the carboy or primary (using a short piece of 2x6) prior to starting. Then any slight movement of lees should settle while I sanitize stuff.

Steve

I really like my auto siphon, much more efficient than using your mouth every time.

I always used to do that especially when bottling, but have added another racking prior to bottling to make sure I don't have any lees left. That way any minute amount of lees I get when tipping at a first or second racking is of no consequence anyway as it is just a light dusting. The final use of the siphon at bottling doesn't matter as it is too small of an amount to get picked up. I have also learned to tip the carboy gently and usually get no lees at all even when a half inch thick.

Back