Additives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterock

Reaction score
Looking for some input on adding Glycerine to red wine at bottling.

Do's and Don'ts

Thoughts?

thanks,
Pete

Be careful adding it as although it adds mouthfeel it can also add a sweetness to it.

Wade is right. But start with 4-5oz, mix well w/ UR degasser. 5-10oz will not make much of a difference in gravity thou. I use it to take the "edge" (bite) off at bottling.

So let me jump in here and see if I understand this. If I use glycerine right before I bottle 5-10 oz it will take the edge off the new wine and add mouthfeel longterm without sweetening it?

I have to jump in and ask as well. I have a pouch of glycerine and it states to add the contents to a 23 liter carboy of wine. The pouch is 30 ml, which is about 45 grams or 1.5 oz. and this seems small compared to what you are suggesting to use. So 4-5 oz or 5-10 oz is the norm for adding to 6 US gal?
I have not used any yet, but am making a sort of a port and was going to add some but now I'm unsure how much to add.

I would start with 4oz. That is what I do "when needed". I doubt you will see (taste) any sweeteness difference after adding 4oz

Latest posts

Back