Adding water to carboy after fermentation at the start of clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViNesv

Reaction score
I got a Wine Kit "Argentia Ridge - Pinot Grigio" from Costco. I just finished fermentation, I am degasing now and tomorrow I supposed to start clearing step.
For clearing step I have following instructions:
1. add contents of Chitosan packet, stir gently for 30 seconds.
2. Add clean room temperature water or a similar finished wine into the neck of the carboy to within two inches of the bottom of the fermentation lock.

My question is about this second step - do I have to add water to carboy up to recommended level? I figure I need about 1liter or a bit more of water. I tried wine and I OK how it tastes, I do not want to dilute it.
If I will choose not to add water - will there be some side effect, or my wine just will be a bit stronger and I will not have full 30 bottles as per instructions?

This is my very first wine kit.

Your wine might oxidize. Surface area ecposed to air is bad news in winemaking. You can add a similar wine or put the wine in a smaller carboy or get a headspace eliminator.

,,, and while you're at it, consider adding a little TIME to your project. You'll not see that in the instructions but it's proven to be a winemakers friend. It'll promote clearing and degassing too!

do not add either wine or water. keep air lock full and follow clearing instructions.

keep airlock on until ready to rack again. I have not topped up my carboys for over thirty years and never had a oxidizing problem.

do not add either wine or water. keep air lock full and follow clearing instructions.

keep airlock on until ready to rack again. I have not topped up my carboys for over thirty years and never had a oxidizing problem.

All well and good for you, but 99% of winemakers here say otherwise. For a beginner, it just makes good sense to follow a proven method until that beginner is able to understand what the pluses and minuses of his actions are.

Thanks for suggestions! I do not have wine to top up carboy, how bad it is going to be if I add water? Or, if I am waiting for wine to clear just for 10 days, should I just not add anything. To re-phrase - it is better not to top up, or to top up with water?

I agree with Salcoco, you will have a layer of CO2 in the top of your carboy from degassing that will protect your wine from oxidation while it is clearing.
That said,If you would rather not take the chance, 1 liter of water in a 6 gallon batch will not drastically change the character of your wine.

ViNesv,
Over the course of 10 days, you are likely fine to leave it without topping up. For your next batch, it'll be good to have a bottle or two of similar wine for topping up. Best of luck!
Heather

Latest posts

Back