Adding vodka

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmyers

wine maker in progress
Reaction score
I know its all about taste but i was wondering can anybody give me a reference starting point as to how much cherry vodka to add to 4 gallons of cherry wine to bump the alc up its currently in the secondary sp 1.02
So its not quite done with ferm yet made it out of 100
Natural black cherry juice

Not a fan of fortifying wines, but...

What is your ABV now? What starting SG did you have?

My start sg was 1.08
I have never added vodka before just want to try it i like trying new things it makes it more fun some times its great sometimes not so

My start sg was 1.08
I have never added vodka before just want to try it i like trying new things it makes it more fun some times its great sometimes not so
Your wine should finish at 10.5 to 11 percent.

How high do you want it to become? And you shouldn't fortify till the fermentation is complete.

Steve

figured on pushing alc as far as I could while still keeping a good sweet cherry taste which is why I choose cherry flavored vodka

one problem is I live in pa. and everclear is not sold here any more ever since some moron student at cmu died of alcohol poisoning trying to plege a frat. so Im using 80proof cherry vodka

80proof? Surely you can find something stronger than 80 proof. Forget the cherry crap. You can soak some cherries in vodka yourself and get the same thing.

dessertmaker said:
80proof? Surely you can find something stronger than 80 proof. Forget the cherry crap. You can soak some cherries in vodka yourself and get the same thing.

Or how's this - use the lower ever clear and add cherry juice to it ?? Just an idea ??

Last edited:
Or how's this? Screw the Everclear and vodka. Add more sugar (and even cherry juice) to your unstabilized wine and drive that bad boy up to 17-18 percent using the yeast in it. ;)

You get up in the 18% plus category, you are looking at 20 proof.

jswordy said:
Or how's this? Screw the Everclear and vodka. Add more sugar (and even cherry juice) to your unstabilized wine and drive that bad boy up to 17-18 percent using the yeast in it. ;)

You get up in the 18% plus category, you are looking at 20 proof.

Hellz yeah. Maybe spike it with some champagne yeast or premier couvee if it won't keep going

I am in pa also and they do sell ever clear, although it is the 151 version, not the 190. Still strong at 151 . Soak some cherries in fr a few days.

Latest posts

Back