Adding Tannin ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddyn99

Junior
Reaction score
I just made my first batch of wine. I was supposed to add Tannin in with the rest of the ingredients in the primary fermenter. I forgot to add it, it has been about 2 days now. Can I open the primary fermenter container and add it? Or should I wait or is it too late altogether?

Thanks for the info. I opened it up and stirred it in. Thanks again for the help.

Welcome aboard!!

You can add it at any time.

What are you making?

I'm shooting for a Gewurztraminer from alexander's sun country grape concentrate. Its actually for the wife. She drinks boxed Franzia wine so im hoping that its at least a good at that. I also have Riesling that will be next and will be trying a Welches white grape juice wine that I found on You tube.

The video is here if anyone wants to make any comments before I give it a shot. w w w.youtube.com/watch?v=78AZ-fQvZdA

I am also hoping that I can get the basics down so I can eventually start making my own Vodka.

I recently racked my wine to a new carboy since fermentation has stopped and the wine has a bitter/acidly taste. I realized that the directions called for Pectin Enzyme: 3 tablets or 3 tsp. but the directions on the bottle call 1/8 of a teaspoon per gallon. I added 3 tsp. Would this give the wine a bitter taste? Or is this just that the wine hasn't aged yet?

Few more questions while I am at it.

I degassed my wine when it reached 1.000 on my hydrometer. How aggressive are you supposed to be with degassing? I read somewhere that you need to be careful not to add oxygen to the mix at this point? I was using the drill mounted bat wing looking degasser paddle.

When racking i sucked quite a bit of the gunk from the bottom to the new carboy. How long should I let it sit before re-racking? Whats the optimal time for solids to settle down?

I am assuming I keep in the big carboy until its clear enough to bottle? Should I wait or add sparkaloid now?

It will taste funny now since it still has yeast in it. Degas when it's finished fermenting and add sparkolloid at that time. Add sulfite 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallons. Airlock and let it clear a month. Rack off of sediment and age. Keep carboys topped off

Try not to introduce air into your wine now but a good stirring will help. You will sulfite so it will be okay.

Pectin Enzyme should be added at anytime before the last racking. :b

Latest posts

Back