Adding TAN’COR GRAND CRU

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I just received a 50 gram package of TAN’COR GRAND CRU. I have 2 54L demis of Alicante/Zin blend, 1 demi of 100% Zin and 1 demi of Moscato.

I've oaked the reds with french chips about a month ago. It's already improved. These are all kit juices by the way.

The white in particular lacks body and zing.. a bit on the sweet side, too.. I am hoping that by adding the tannin, I will be able to bring up all of these wines.

I am thinking of 8 to 10 grams per red demi and perhaps only 5 or 6 grams to the white. I have already racked these wines twice. I think I will rack one more time.

When should I add the tannin? I realize that the Grand Cru is a finishing tannin so should I wait one month before bottling? If this is the route I take, I probably won't tannin the Zin til next fall as I'd like to keep that in the cellar in bulk til then.

Thoughts? What would you do? Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
I dont know if that is a cellering tannin or a fermenting tannin. You cant undo tannin. Start small.

It is best to add after fermentation, it needs to age with the wine.

I would not even think about adding any tannin to any white wine.

You say these are kits but I have never seen an Alicante/Zin kit, at least here in the lower 48. Are you sure these are kits or juice buckets? Tannin will help the reds with an extended finish. If the white is low on acid adding tartaric will definitely help increase the zing factor on the tongue.

Lol, Mike you should give it a try, I have added to whites but I used tannins specific for whites.

I would not even think about adding any tannin to any white wine.

You say these are kits but I have never seen an Alicante/Zin kit, at least here in the lower 48. Are you sure these are kits or juice buckets? Tannin will help the reds with an extended finish. If the white is low on acid adding tartaric will definitely help increase the zing factor on the tongue.

Ya, juice buckets.. but the vendor "adjusted" these juices so does that constitute a kit?? Not sure... I blended them at the time of primary fermentation.

Still not clear about what has been suggested here... Ok, skip the white (maybe add some acid to that), but should I go ahead and add the tannin now to the reds?

they won't be bottled until the spring (march or April) except for the pure Zin which I want to hold off til autumn. Should I rack them in another month then add the tannin or add tannin now and rack later? If I add only a small amount (say 5 grams per demi) can I add more later if I find it needs more?

thannks

They are still considered juice buckets, not kits. When they say they have been pre-adjusted it usually just means some acid was added to get the must into a wide range of pH and TA. Some are inoculated with yeast some not.

I have never met a white wine that needed any form of (pure) tannin. They do make them but I would not think a Moscato would be one of them but then again it is your wine and you can add what you want! Just be careful as you can always add more of something but once it's in you can't take it out usually.

For your reds I would add it now and stir it in now and then wait 4-8 weeks for it to integrate. You should be able to find instructions on how to add, how much to add and racking schedule with the product or online.

And yes, if you feel it needs more you can always add more, just go slow and of course bench trials are always recommended before hand.

They are still considered juice buckets, not kits. When they say they have been pre-adjusted it usually just means some acid was added to get the must into a wide range of pH and TA. Some are inoculated with yeast some not.

I have never met a white wine that needed any form of (pure) tannin. They do make them but I would not think a Moscato would be one of them but then again it is your wine and you can add what you want! Just be careful as you can always add more of something but once it's in you can't take it out usually.

For your reds I would add it now and stir it in now and then wait 4-8 weeks for it to integrate. You should be able to find instructions on how to add, how much to add and racking schedule with the product or online.

And yes, if you feel it needs more you can always add more, just go slow and of course bench trials are always recommended before hand.

Thanks for the info.

Back