Adding Sugar to Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
When adding sugar to the primary, I first heat some spring water and then dissolve the sugar in it. But I just mildly heat the water.

Some people boil the water, or at least get it very hot, and then add the sugar to it.

As long as I get the water warm enough to dissolve the sugar in it, is it good enough? Or is there an advantage to boiling the water?

Thanks,

Chopper

I'll see what others say but I would think that just getting it hot enough to dissolve should be sufficient - my thinking is that when adding water to the primary otherwise I just use it straight from the tap and have not had any problems with that

My experience with making simple syrup is that if the mixture not brought to a boil it will be cloudy....I belive the cloudyness is undissolved sugar.....By bringing it to a slow boil the syrup will be quite clear when cooled....care must be taken to not boil too hard so as not to carmelize the sugar

yep boil the water and continur after adding the sugar till it CLEAR
smiley20.gif

I would say that getting it disslved fairly well will do in primary but sweetening afterwards would surely require boiling.

In my studies, I understood that boiling the sugar for a minute or two broke down the sucrose into glucose (or was it the other way? I've had a few drinks tonight). In any case, it seems that boiling table sugar makes it easier for the yeasties to digest. Whether it breaks it down at a molecular level, or simply disperses it better, I've always boiled any "solid" sugar.

I always bring water to a boil then ad sugar and bring back to a boil.Al

If you don't boil the water to disolve the sugar your starting gravity can be off.

If you are going to try to keep any simple syrup, you must boil or the syrup will crystalize, even if refrigerated. I always make enough so that I have some to backsweeten if necessary.

IF I MIGHT ADD MY 2cents 2 CUPS CANE SUGAR TO 1 CUP WATER,BRING WATER TO A SIMMER- BUBBLES ,ADD SUGAR,STIR ALL THE TIME,,TURN UP HEAT TO A ROLLING BOIL KEEP STIRRING UNTIL VERY CLEAR........PLACE IN BALL TYPE CANNING JARS (ARE THE BEST FOR THIS PROCESS) PLACE THE JARS IN A TIN PAN AND PLACE THE CONTAINER IN THE SINK RUN COLD WATER TO STOP THE HEATING PROCESS,,LET SIT OVER NIGHT WITH THE LIDS ON TIGHT READY FOR USE ANYTIME.......

Latest posts

Back