Adding raisins or tannin - Peppermint Candy Cane

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
Okay...The peppermint candy cane wine has an SG of 1.035. I tasted it the other day and although it tasted good (like a weak peppermint Schnopps), it lacks body. It's almost the consistency of water and doesn't have a wine feel too it in your mouth. I've been studying on this and since it's not done yet, I want to modify it some if possible. I found a recipe on a herb web page today that talks about making wine out of peppermint and they have raisins included. Even though I added one gallon of white grape juice when I made it, it's not enough to bring out a "wine" feel.

1. I have some tannin and raisins. Would either be a good addition at this point to help with this?
2. If one or the other is okay, how much should I add for a 4 gallon batch?
3. Should I add more sugar & yeast if I add either of the two? (even if it makes rocket fuel which is fine since this is a novelty wine anyway. I can't imagine someone drinking large amounts of this at a time as the sickly feeling you get when you eat too much candy pops in my mind.)
4. Any other suggestions to give it more body?

Thanks!
David

If I used raisins I'd use the white ones you know to keep it light colored and all

Definitely white ones and Tom could say whether or not to mix banana soup with it. I want to make a c.c. wine so I'm interested in the details.

Just remember that when you add raisins you will also be adding nutrients (which is not bad) and SUGAR, which might bring your wine off balance !!!

Raisins contain bout 50% sugar, so be carefull.

Besides this: indeed use the white ones.

Rinse them well asd they might contain sulphites also:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/11/rozijnen-raisins.html

Luc

Looks like you started with an SG that is a little low. I would try a banana soup to put the mouth feel back in to it. But Tom will be better in answering this.

Looks like you started with an SG that is a little low. I would try a banana soup to put the mouth feel back in to it. But Tom will be better in answering this.

Thanks for all the thoughts on this. I wen't ahead and added a pound of raisins and the banana soup to it. Figured both couldn't hurt. I also went ahead and added 3 more cups of sugar, 3 more tsp of yeast nutrient and a packet of lavin 1118 yeast I just bought. I did the later because I think it was stuck and I was figuring that would get life back into it.

Will let everyone know how this turns out. I'm hoping to bottle by Christmas but it may to be tough at this point. Might have to save it until next year.

Back