Adding Oak to secondary or later

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sly22guy

Reaction score
Any suggestions for adding oak after a primary ferment? As im considering adding some when i make my blackberry batch, but id like to add after my ferment as i plan on doing half with and half without. I know it is more ideal with the primary as it is easier to remove and such. but has anyone done this in later stages have any suggestions? I was considering making a little sack to hold the cubes/chips and wedge the airlock bung on the top so it is suspended at the top of the carboy. Or is there a way to use a spiral.

I prefer to add my oak after the wines are cleared and racked. I let the oak remain in the carboy thru the entire aging period. If you want to remove it early you can place the oak into a clean small stocking tied off with a piece of floss (unflavored) and let the one end extend out of the carboy and squeeze it with a bung.

Keep in mind if you do a taste-sample you will have to stir it to mix the oak flavor (bottom) with the rest of the wine beforehand.

I add mine after backsweetening. I leave it in for about 2 months and then rack it. What oak are you planning on using? I used Hungarian cubes in my Blackberry and do you realize once you oak the blackberry you probably won't want a blackberry any other way? :h

Hey thanks for the input, as the whites ive made in the past were added during the primary. i figured that i could add during the aging and thanks for the tip on the floss that is def a good idea.

Julie no plans on oak yet but ill look to see if my local homebrew shop has the hungarian cubes. sounds like a good place to start.

For a spiral just tie a piece of thread or floss ( I like that suggestion) to it and suspend it in the carboy; the bung will hold it in place.

FYI another tidbit about oak - I read recently about oak dust/chips in the primary - according to Tim V. these oaks impart 99% of their characteristics into the wine within the first 48 hours - good info to know.

Latest posts

Back