Adding high tolerance yeast in secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kivanc

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to add additional high alcohol tolerant yeast to the secondary fermentation with high SG?

Last edited:
can you explain a little bit more on what you have done and trying to do?

can you explain a little bit more on what you have done and trying to do?

For instance, is it possible to use high alcohol tolerant yeast in the secondary fermentation after the initial yeast has done all it can. On sweet must, if my first yeast doesn't quite drop the gravity far enough could I use high alcohol tolerant yeast to continue the fermentation farther?

Last edited:
For instance, is it possible to use high alcohol tolerant yeast in the secondary fermentation after the initial yeast has done all it can. On sweet must, if my first yeast doesn't quite drop the gravity far enough could I use high alcohol tolerant yeast to continue the fermentation farther?

All yeasts, even those that are tolerant of high alcohol will probably have trouble starting when the alcohol is already up somewhat high. It might work,it might not. If I were going to try something like this, I would probably add the higher alcohol tolerant one at an sg of about 1.050 or something like that and I would get it going really well in a starter beige adding it.

Like cmason1957 says, it may work then again it may not. If you are going to try this, I would rack back to a primary bucket and make sure you stir every day to help in getting it started.

I won't take risk then. Because the alcohol is already up in my cherry must (1.135 - 1.090 x 131.25 = 5.90 %) and I've already added yeast starter in the secondary. Hope it would take the SG a little bit down.

Thanks..

Last edited:
Back