Add Water to new batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you added 16 cans and it should have been 24 and you are short and it would make high alcohol if left alone- why not just add another 8 cans of water. That would bring the alcohol level down and make the wine as it was designed originally. Yes having a SG reading would be good but you don't have it - so relax, add the water and let it finish up.

Being a fellow new-be I will tell you that having the right tools for prepping the must is essential. I started a gallon batch of Welch's red grape wine last month. I tested the concentrate in the can and it was about 1.6 sg! I had to add water to get it to a decent 1.070 to leave me a bout at 10% alcohol wine. I ended up with a little over a gallon and a quarter. I had to use a half gallon jug to put the extra in. Let the starting sugar content dictate how much water to add. Too much water = too weak of flavor = too large of a F-pack to compensate. I learned this through a strawberry wine I made a couple of months back. I started with too few fruit which was packed in sugar (I missed that!) and added 2.5 pounds of sugar! After a large F-pack and back sweetening, I ended up with a strong strawberry tasting wine that was similar to a brandy. Not overly smooth. Live and learn. :slp

Today is day 31

Do any of you folks think it's too late to add some water and let it sit another couple weeks?

Thanks

If you have a strong flavor and the alcohol content is high, it might be O.K. I have never tried it. I have read in some wine making books about not doing it because of loss of flavor and body. These people have way more experience than I do, so I figure they know best. If you have enough equipment, you might separate half of it and add water to see how it tastes. This way you can still have half that is not diluted incase it doesn't work out with adding water. I have found that sometime you can learn more from a failure if it doesn't work out.

Better prepared Now!

All,

I made it to the big city of Wilmington this week and picked up a couple hydrometers and testing container as well as some finishing items.
I plan to rack my 35 day old wine over to a sterile bucket and take a whisp to try and degas it. I first wanted to run the Idea past this group of readers.
Should I be reading a general hydrometer reading to tell if it is time?
Remember 6x grape concentrate and two cranberry. I believe I have read fruit takes a little longer to finish fermentation.
After the fundamental degassing I plan to rack it back to the carboy for a second period of time.

I'll stop here and continue in a later post.

Thank You so much.

sevenal

As long as it is fermenting ok... I would let it go. You can always add something at the end to flavor/sweeten/bring the alcohol level down.

Have Fun!

Debbie

first hydrometer reading EVER?

Well the batch is still making bubbles.
I popped the stopper and used the hydrometer for the first time.
The reading was 1.10. Now the instructions said that is in the realm of DRY.
Alcohol was there but far from strong. The taste although sweet was nice with
moderate cloudy bright red appearance. The cranberry really coming through.
This was day 34 and if the sugar continues to ferment and the alcohol level get to say 10 to 12 percent, I'll be quite pleased with my first attempt.
So I guess just I'll keep an eye on it and watch for the bubbles to slow to almost a stop. At that point I'll check the gravity again and go from there.
I assume if the reading goes to say 1.01 that would be 9% additional alcohol?

Thanks for staying with me here.

sevenal

For the first time ever I had a hydrometer reading below .990 It was a little cool so that cold have attributed to it.

Most musts will break and decend below 1.000 Watch it with your hydrometer until it stops. From there your must is now a wine. Congrats.

Rack, clear, sulfite, degass. Be careful when you first start to degass. If you have alot and degas in the carboy you may have a volcano.

Alcohol Content ?

So what would the alcohol increase be from 1.10 down to 9.98 ?

10.02%???

I think there is an alcohol calculator here somewhere...
otherwise there is one at grapestompers.com. You plug in the beginning and ending numbers.... it tells you what the % is.

Debbie

about 14% if it went dry (.990) from 1.100
IF
you learn how to read the hydrometer
there is NO 9.98 reading

I figured that was a typo!! The calculators are nice to save to your favorites for future needs.

Debbie

No TYPO exactly

meaning to say 9.998 that Deb was referring to, but did not catch it due to ignorance.
thanks for you generous time and input

sevenal

ok starting to catch on to the hydrometer

Ok 11 days later and on day 45
The reading 11 days ago was 1.10
Tonight it was 1.012 at 70 degrees.

So just under 12% alcohol ???

Smell is nice and finally has a distinct wine aroma.
The taste is still much sweeter than it smells

It may be time to rack
Still would like less sweet taste

A little cloudy

Latest posts

Back