Add Water to new batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevenal

Reaction score

Hello all !

Another newb here.
After listening to how easy it is to make suitable table wine, I found a carboy
and applied a co-workers recipe and Viola! Wine on its way.
Here is the recipe. 1 pkt red wine yeast- 6lb sugar- 8 x 12oz frozen concentrate, fill each concentrate can 3 times with water = around 3.5gal.
Well I have a week to go and all is bubbling along, except I have only 2.66 gal of fluid "left out" 1 can of water per concentrate.
When/how do I add the water? After tasting, after fermentation process time,
now- then reseal to finish fermentation?
I have an idea it's at the end and after racking, but thought I would ask some folks that would know?

Thanks for any consideration!

welcome!

1st. Do you have a hydrometer?
2nd. What was the starting gravity.
3rd. Wine making is a little more that what you started
with.
I would have used 4 cans per gallon. I would not add any water til you know what the gravity is when you started and what it is now.
What kind of concentrate is it?

really did I say newb

I know, I know
I’m not worthy!
I really have taken this as a life lesson and well if the cost of one bottle of good wine is all I'm out on this my maiden voyage, I'll sterilize the carboy and give it another shot when I'm better prepared.
4 waters "noted"
I'll look into the hydrometer and research the whole gravity factor.
I jest a little but do take advice well, after proper digestion, so please keep the comments, observations and constructive criticism coming.
That said, is this batch salvageable? Will it hurt to add water prior to the suggested 28 days and let it set the remaining 5 days? Or should I taste it and see just how sweet it is and add water to taste? Of course any 3rd, 4th or 5th option would interest me.
I see a few of you kind folks have taken the time to read my feeble post and that tells me I am probably onto a good resource for the subject.
For your time and any consideration, I thank you.

type of concentrate used

4x generic grape
1x welches concord
1x welches white
2x cranberry

do we assume that these are frozen concentrate from the freezer section of you grocery store

correct, frozen concentrate

This was to be a simple, 30 day recipe, resulting in a simple Red Table Wine.
My thinking was to share with the brave of heart and use this as a jumping in project, to learn from. I can drink a couple glasses of red wine, enhancing what would at times be a somewhat bland and time restricticted dinner course. So what the heck here I go.
Like I said I have $15 a stopper and some hose involved.
Prepared to add intricacies on my next attempt.

Thanks again

Last edited:
In order for us to give you the right advice we will need to see the exact recipe that you use every detail from start to where you are now

Also give us a list of the equipment you have right now so we can advise you on what you need to get right away

recipe

8 x 12oz concentrate
16 x 12 oz spring water
6lbs white granulated sugar
1 pkt. Red Wine Yeast for 3 to 5 gal. of wine.
Equals 2.66 gal of product

In a plastic 5 gal carboy
Rubber stopper with hose running to a gal of water, all tight.

Product continues to bubble after 26 days.
All appears right except after discussing with the originator of
the recipe, he states it should have been 24 x 12 oz of water.
So I am short 96 oz of water.
Simple is probably an understatement.
I don't intend to start a vineyard as I am sue some of you kind
folks are fully capable of. I have read on another site this would
be a very dense concoction and from what I have been told and
will produce a wine with high alcohol content.
I have no hydrometer at this time.
So is this just subject to a tasting to detect remaining sugars.
Should I just let it continue to ferment beyond the 30 to 35 days
as long as it continues to bubble, exhausting the sugars?
Obviously I am not now going to accurately determine precise
alcohol levels. Is that the fear of this idea of adding water, storage
of wine with too little alcohol?
Is it ever ok to add ingredients and then reseal the carboy or is
the oxygen entering the sealed environment too detrimental, even for a
moment?

Thanks for your input.

This helps a lot I can tell that for this recipe you have used enough juice for two gallon so for five gallon you will need to add another 12 can of juice to it and then top it up with water to five gallon. This is a five gallon carboy that you are using is it a Better Bottle or a water jug ? while you are waiting for this to ferment dry go buy a hydrometer because if you plan on trying again you will need it

Last edited:
To follow up

So if currently have 2.66 gal of total fluid it may be fairly on target?
To a more fundamental question.

How detrimental is it to open the container to add components for
complexities to smell and flavor?

The way I see it if you leave it alone you will end up with a high acohol wine because your recipe was for a five gallon and all you made was 2.5 gallons and if that is what your trying to accomplish then I would suggest you pm Sirs he is from down your way and he loves his high actane wine and no as long as it is still fermenting it will not hurt to open it up

"26 days and still bubbling" Without a hydrometer its hard to say, if i had to guess i would have to say that the bubbles are from the CO2. You can taste it and see what kind of taste you get from it. Now keep in mind that wine will mellow over time. 1-2yrs. So if you get a real strong alch. you can keep this batch to top up other batches down the road, use it as a starter for skeeter pee, or stabilize it with sorb & sulfate and then make an F-Pac and sweeten to taste. But by all means make sure you Degas completely before you bottle! & when you go buy a hydrometer (get 2!) trust me you'll thank me later.

2 hydrometers are essential... you'll never break one then... if you only have 1 and you're planning a big day of winemaking... you can count on it!

Debbie:tz

Thanks for your comments

I have decided to let it alone for now.
I am however curious.
I am probably just missing a point.
The admin says he would add 20% more water, then a senior
member says I need more juice?

JTSTAR I assume by 12, you refer to 12oz and not 12 containers?
I thank those whom have taken a moment to post and help me
with these last day gitters. JTSTAR you have stayed engaged with
me here and that makes you an asset to this forum. I hope one day
when I learn which end of a carboy is the top I might assist some
other rookie. This is a completely new endeavor for me and I am anxious
to see the end results.

sly22guy _ I thank you and will take your advice and buy two. Would you suggest the chimney container be plastic or glass?
Also I have a black rubber stopper that I pre drilled prior to using.
It smells somewhat strong like rubber, the gas coming off the carboy
smells really nice and sweet. Should I use a different type of stopper?
Next question_ If this wine is only half of a carboy, is the void or
half empty bottle a undesirable environment for the fermentation process?
_ If I were to start another batch, could I add this 2.66 gal to that batch?
"after tasting of course" to the new batch, thereby filling up the carboy?

I am going to document the exact recipe, dates, concerns, methods,
or lack of.

Thanks all

Last edited:
The "void" is not an issue during an active ferment, once the sg (why we recommend a hydrometer) is below 1.000 is when it is crucial to remove all extra air space so you do not oxidize your wine. I personally would never add water to top up. Think of ice tea if you keep adding water all you are doing is watering it way down thus losing flavor. Not to mention alcohol content! Now granted if you add juice you are also lowering the alcohol content but you are not taking away from the flavor.

Taste what you've made. If you like it bottle it. If it has a strong alcohol taste bottle it and save it to use for future batches to top up.

When i make a batch of wine, (say im making a 6 gal batch) will start in a 7-10 gallon primary (food grade bucket) i will make the batch to be about 6.5 gals, that way i will have enough to top up through out the process. (keep in mind if you are using just juice you will have less sediment so you won't need as much extra) It is good to keep a couple different size wine bottles and stoppers so that you can store your excess.

What tom was referring to was not adding water, but the ratio of frozen concentrate to water. 4 cans per 1 gallon of water. or 4:1.

My recipes are 3:1 of frozen concentrate. Goes to show you...

more than one way to skin a cat!! Wine WANTS to become wine... give it a LITTLE attention and it will go on it's own...

we need to worry less... enjoy life (and wine)...

MORE!!

Debbie

Sister batch

Well my buddy started his batch one day prior to mine.
After 28 days he bottled it, and gave me one today.
The bottle had the 4:1 aforementioned. I found it a good red color,
cloudy and sweet, and drank the whole bottle with supper.
It had a big POP when I uncorked it and like I said was quite sweet.

I intend to let mine go another 2 or 3 weeks then Rack it and see if it is still fermenting.
Mine had quite a bit more sugar.
I am reading on clarifying methods now. I think this wine I am fermenting has some octane to go, hopefully that will thin it and I will explore a F-Pack or additive in a secondary, after racking.
LMK if I am thinking in reasonable terms.

Oh I did get a buzz tonight and it really was a drinkable vintage, but I am hoping for a little more refined and finished product.
Maybe not this batch but soon?

Thanks again for your contributions here.

sevenal

Back