Add Campden to Fozen Strawberry Wine ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastCoast

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making my fist batch of Strawberry wine from scracth.

The recipe is form Jack Keller. "Frozen Strawberry Wine"

The recipe does not call for the Campden to be put in the primary
but I would think it needs to go in initially. Reading some of his general
instructions he says to add itwether the recipe calls for it or not as some
people just assume you should put it in.

Just whant to make sure before I start. Don't want toruin the first batch
I do.

Here's the recipe

<H3 style="MARGIN: auto 0in; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center>Frozen Strawberry Wine<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /></H3>

<UL =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">3 lbs. frozen strawberries </LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">1 11-oz. can Welch's 100% White Grape Juice Frozen Concentrate </LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">1 lb 14 oz. light brown sugar </LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">2 tsp. citric acid </LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">1/4 tsp. grape tannin </LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">water to make 1 gallon </LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">1 tsp. yeast nutrient </LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">1 sachet Red Star Côte des Blancs wine yeast </LI>[/list]

EastCoast

If I were using the recipe, I would add a campden tab at the begining. But that is only what I would do. I would then wait 24 hrs before pitching my yeast. Let us know what you decide to do!

Is this frozen strawbery wine frm cans like Dowl or Welches or frozen
berries? If out of a can I would not as they usually incluse sulfite in
them. If frozen berries I would use sulfite.

The white grape juice contains sulfite so be careful adding more.

Here is some of the discussion on the Campden

"Add the Campden or potassium metabisulfite (pot meta for short) when the fruit is crushed, unless you are going to use boiling water to extract the flavors, color and juices of the base. The boiling water will kill off the bacteria, fungus and wild yeast, but when you rack the wine you should add the appropriate dose of crushed Campden or pot meta."

This recipe does call for boiling water soooooooooo I think I'll just leave it out as ot's not called for in the recipe.

Hope this works out. The good thing it's only a one gallon batch so not a lot of damage can be done.

What would be the worst thing to happen ??

The worst might be the boiling water was hot enough to give you more pectin haze, and not hot long enough to really kill anything, then when you rack and now add the sulfite, you kill or hamper half of your intended yeast. If the fruit is good you probably won't have any problem, but personally I'm leery of of fruits that don't have a lot of natural antioxidants and brown easily. Hope I didn't scare you, but you asked for the worst. Relax, it's a process. I think winemaking is about 70% science and 30% art. Let us know how it is turning out. I am interested in how the brown sugar effected it. What was your starting SG? Strawberry wine was my first foray too.

Back