Wine has hardly no smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbylet1

Junior
Reaction score
<a href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CAli%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" target="_blank"><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:"Cambria Math";
panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;
mso-font-charset:1;
mso-generic-font-family:roman;
mso-font-at:eek:ther;
mso-font-pitch:variable;
mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.Msonormal, li.Msonormal, div.Msonormal
{mso-style-unhide:no;
mso-style-qat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-:ex-only;
mso-default-props:yes;
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
.MsoPapDefault
{mso-style-:ex-only;
margin-bottom:10.0pt;
line-height:115%;}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;
mso-er-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

<![endif]-->I just bottled a Spagnols</span> Grand Cru International Barolo that I started in September.
3 months ago when I racked it it had some pleasant smells as well as that "kit smell", but now it most of the kit smell has left but so has everything else. I can't smell anything while I drink it and really have to take a good inhalation to to smell much of anything. It does seem to increase the smell once I've been swirling it and snorting it for 5 minutes, but that doesnt make the next glass any more fragrant!
Obviously smell is pretty important to the experience of drinking a wine, and I was wondering if there is any chance it will develop more as time goes on? Or if there is some reason this happened, something I did that failed to preserve this aspect of wine.

Thanks!</span></font></a>

edit: no idea why it hyperlinked the whole thing. One more thing I cant figure out!
<a href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CAli%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" target="_blank"></span></font>
</a>

It is fairly common for a wine of any type to "close up" at about that age- assuming you meant this past September which would make it about 5 months old. While it is drinkable now, if you wait about another year, it will open up again and you will be able to experience the wine complete with all the aromas the wine has to offer.

Yep, its still very young and green. Wine can go through many stages while maturing and this is one of those symptoms.

Thank you, all my other wines so far have stayed fragrant throughout so I am very glad to know it is a phase! This is the one that shows the most potential too so I feel much better now.

USUALLY WHEN A WINE HAS LITTLE OR NO NOSE,IT HAS A OXYGEN PROBLEM FOR SOME REASON TO MUCH OXYGEN IS/WAS SITTING ON THE WINE,THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM FOR A LOT OF FRESH JUICE MAKERS,UNLESS HEAVILY TANNIN THE NOSE FOR WHAT EVER REASON IS GONE AND TIME WILL NOT RETURN IT,AS FOR KITS THIS COULD ALSO BE BECAUSE OF HOW IT WAS HANDLED,WORKING WITH A FEW DIFFERENT WINERIES IN THE AREA I'VE LEARNED SOME HARD LESSONS ,AND THATS ONE,,,,,,
smiley4.gif

you could try a couple of things...as mentioned it IS young and it could be the o2 issue Joe mentioned...wait awhile and then if still showing this problem try putting some in a blender and whip it up some and see if it expresses what you are hoping for...another thing some somelliers do is take the wine and nuke it in a microwave for a few seconds to open it up

Back