acidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyclk

Reaction score
starting in Oct 2010, I made several gallons of wine from frozen concentrate. following the recipes from jack keller and other online sites, I used 2tsp of Acid Blend per gallon.

the wines are now finished and mostly bottled. they seem very tart and acidic. I was wondering if aging in the bottles will smooth this out or if I am just going to be stuck with an acidic wine.

I do not have have an acid testing kit. I realize that I probably shouldn't have bottled them yet and should have cold stabilized to drop the acid crystals. but will these wines mellow out with time?

thanks!

Without actually testing it's hard to say if you're tasting acidity or if you're tasting the harshness of young wine.

Jack's recipes are pretty well balanced, so I wouldnt worry too much. Give then time and they should smooth out considerably.

Acid test kits aren't expensive. Without testing it's a stretch to say wine needs something done to reduce acid.

If they are acidic, another approach approach would be to sweeten a bit to balance the acidity. If you do sweeten, make sure you stabalize properly and give them more time before you (re)bottle.

That sounds like a lot of acid to add - how much did you make?

How are you storing these now? If they are bottled one way to find out the acid is too high is to put a bottle in the fridge for 3-4 weeks - see if you have any wine diamonds.

I made 5 gallons of concord, 3 gallons of white grape peach, and about 5 1-gallon batches of different juices.

I used this recipe for most of them:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request181.asp

that is where it says to use 2tsp.

I think from now on, I will just use .5 tsp / gallon or just invest in an acid test kit.

as far as storing, everything is now bottled and sitting on my new 100 bottle wine rack my gf got me for christmas!

my recipe for the concord:

10 cans Old Orchard 100% Grape
10 tsp Acid Blend
5 tsp Pectic Enzyme
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
6.25 lbs Granulated Sugar
1 pack Yeast Lalvin 1116

Starting S.G. 1.10

I like xmas gifts like that - i got a one as well.

I would get an acid test kit. I would not recommend adding that blindly.

Latest posts

Back