AAASTINKIE is HERE!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ishould enter also if I have enough left from last year.....Maple Porter!

May the best man win Frank.

Thanks Dean. I will make at least 1 brew this year and I know, its like
wine, once I start Ill be needing another basement for making
beer!
smiley36.gif

Might not be a good idea to ferment a 23 ltr batch of beer in a 6.5 gal primary...lol

20070307_072840_beer_overflow_3.jpg

Put in a blow-off tube into a bucket for now and then buy a bigger primary!
smiley4.gif

Wow, Ive heard and experienced the wine volcano but never the beer volcano!

masta said:
Put in a blow-off tube into a bucket for now and then buy a bigger primary!
smiley4.gif

Please don't encourage the encouragable!!
smiley24.gif

I was proud on myself for being at the brewstore today and NOT coming out with a new 7.8 primary, I think I have enough, just trying to fill the wine cellar up!!..
smiley17.gif

20070307_151944_beer_wine_feb_0.jpg

Edited by: AAASTINKIE

Stinky, using a blow off tube is the best idea from everything I've read. It gets rid off the fusel oils.

Appleman, I remember reading in Charlie Papazains book about a Porter made with Maple Sap. Sounds good to me!

Pete

I'm going to have to find me a few taps and get them up pretty soon. I have a few dozen sugar maples I could tap. Warmer days are coming. My brother invited me out to his sugarhouse this weekend, but it is several hours each way. I may opt to tap my own trees and collect enough sap for a batch. Only problem- three feet of snow on the level in the woods.

Okay, all this beer talk is making me start my kit Sat. even if I need
to use both brew belts on it to keep it warm. My wife wont let it come
upstairs as she doesnt like the smell of stuff fermenting.

Wade....Can you put the primaries in a small heated room away from the main living quarters so she won't smell them???

Tell her it smells like bread rising and baking...train her thoughts to think of something good...

The beer only ferments for a short time...then once it's in the bottles we kept the bottles a bit warmer for a while so that it could start to carbonate, then into the root cellar.

Hope you have fun with your beer kit...it's something to do till spring comes...
smiley4.gif

Appleman...3 feet of snow in the woods....not good. Think we got about 2 feet over the past month...but it has been getting above freezing the past few day and the snow is settling....along with the warmer temps we get clouds and fog and freezing drizzle...it looks gloomy...but warm...

Our next project is to get out in the woods and cut some firewood for next year...that goes pretty quick with the wood splitter...so am hoping the snow settles down even more...

The longer days sure makes your mind rush...then you look outside and see that white stuff and calm yourself down...just a waiting game for us Northerners...Spring a long way off...darn!!!

There is no where in this house that she will not complain about it. In 1 month I can start seperating the basement into rooms as April 16 my basement will be waterproofed then I can start framing out partitions. I will have an 11' x 11' wine room with the furnace in there I will probably put an elecric baseboard heater in there with a thermostat so I can maintain a good temp in there when the brew belt isnt enough. The rest of the basement will be heated with regular radiators. There will be a small unheated area that Im going to insulate to use for wine racks (storage) for all my wines.

Wade...Sounds like you have a good plan with your basement.

The old house that was here had a wet basement...when it would rain we'd be down there sweeping and vacuming...why is it the floor drain is never in the lowest part of the floor???

Hope you take photos of your progress....will be nice to have your own space down there...a dream come true...

Latest posts

Back