AAASTINKIE is HERE!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAASTINKIE

Reaction score
smiley32.gif
I finally realized rather than tell the stink story all over like a puzzel I need one forum and here it is!!!

Welcome to STINKIES PLACE
smiley36.gif

Now I have my own forum and I have writers block
smiley5.gif
It's almost time to go home, the floors are all swept, I work 3 on 3 off days one week and nights the next 12 hour shifts, for some odd reason I can post here?
smiley11.gif
We have a fresh foot of snow here today. In the summer I drive 200 miles to Boston and drive a 18 wheeler (more money for more toys) so I might get to se masta some day cause I deliver to Johnstown and take rt6 to conn. but sometimes I can go 95 on my way to Bridgeport CT....but I digress, right now it's wine time and almost Maple syrup time
smiley17.gif
Maple syrup is hard work but everyone smiles when you give them a bottle
smiley1.gif
it takes 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup
smiley9.gif
time to go more later at the AAA forum.

Valley Brew is always open for forum members to stop by for a taste...exit 3B on 95 South!
smiley4.gif

I've been working on food combinations tonight, I think I may have hit the jackpot
smiley5.gif

A november 2004 welches cut with 2 parts diet cranberry juice with a
fried cheeseburger with mustard, homemade bread and butter pickles,
fresh slice of imported tomatoe, drounded in ketchup, in a log house,
by the wood stove, while watching Seinfield during a snowstorm
smiley1.gif

sitting at my computer, looking out the window, throwing the switch on
that puts the spotlights on in the trees that I put out to see snow
with, watching the snow coming down, realizing it is so pretty but
wondering if it's going to STOP?
smiley7.gif
I'm going to have to go plow again if it keeps coming down
smiley11.gif
tomorrow we will talk about the LATENT heat of evaporization..if anyone is interested.

I am definitely interested. You are a force to be reckoned with and a worthy adversary, Grasshopper.

No o-be-one-kenobe you will be the master in the end
smiley32.gif
I wonder what you picture in your heads when I say I am a boiler operator, well picture a boiler 11 stories tall, cement smokestack 280ft tall 18ft across at the base, every hour burning 1 tractor trailer load of oil and 3 tractor trailer loads of biomass, probably not what you pictured in your head, huh?
smiley5.gif

ya know there are only 5 of us here or so, I just want the gift to frame and hang on my wall, I would feel guilty cashing it in, this site is so nice I can't wait to make syrup so I can send some to geo as a thank you. med, I saw your website, your wine is nice, BUT YOU ARE HOT!!!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
In my mind I pictured myself in a field on a warm summer morning and you flew in on your majic carpet (actually it was a 4X6 shag rug) in your tye died T-shirt, you got off with your basket and started to pic pink rose pedals one by one, when it was full you asked me if I wanted to go see your wine cellar, I had to get on the carpet, you said hold on real tight, I squeezed on and you said in your girlish but deep laughing voice....oh Frank, is that a #2 lead pencil in your pocket or are you just having a really good time.
smiley36.gif

AAASTINKIE said:
ya know there are only 5 of us here or so, I just want the gift to frame and hang on my wall, I would feel guilty cashing it in, this site is so nice I can't wait to make syrup so I can send some to geo as a thank you. med, I saw your website, your wine is nice, BUT YOU ARE HOT!!!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
In my mind I pictured myself in a field on a warm summer morning and you flew in on your majic carpet (actually it was a 4X6 shag rug) in your tye died T-shirt, you got off with your basket and started to pic pink rose pedals one by one, when it was full you asked me if I wanted to go see your wine cellar, I had to get on the carpet, you said hold on real tight, I squeezed on and you said in your girlish but deep laughing voice....oh Frank, is that a #2 lead pencil in your pocket or are you just having a really good time.
smiley36.gif

Wow, you've got quite an imagination there, Stinkie!
smiley36.gif

(special note to self: If you start thinking those voices in your head are someone else, it's time to see Dr. Flood to have your medications adjusted)
smiley2.gif

I keep thinkig I'd like to try to make some dandilion wine, soon in the spring they will be everywhere, the cow fields arond here go yellow with them, many people who have tried some say it is good.

OK I think I have this broken down, there are five of us here,

AAASTINKIE, floordirt distribution supervisorfrom Maine, wine newbee, lives in the deep woods, makes maple syrup (to give to his friends) pickles, bakes the best homemade bread you ever ate (well maybe not that good) i like fishing and white water kayaking too. oh yea, I have 4 cats too (and 3 dogs 2 chickens and a feret) not nessisarilly by my choice
smiley29.gif

masta, lives 300 miles south of me, I'll swing in some day

medpretzel, hot, hot babe, bout 600 miles west of here, maybe more, has a 4X6 shag rug somewhere in her house

geocom, self made millionaire, runs wine supply store so his friends know where to meet him, soon to start franchising nationally!!

country wine, logger for 18 years, ouch probably has bicepts the size of cantaloups, don't mess with him.

I only have 46 posts so far 54 to go, I'm gonna have to pay someone off, it's getting towards 4 pm time for the final "sweep" of the day
smiley36.gif

tonights wine / food combiation is caberae sobernou (or
something that sounds like that) mixed with 2 parts diet cranberry
juice, our meal of the evening is turkey kilbasa fried on hamburger
buns loaded with frenches mustard, my palate imeadiatly notices
compared to our first batch of welches the flavor of dirt seems to be
lacking
smiley32.gif
however at $7 per bottle that gives on $200 bugget for a 6 gallon pail of wine, I'm sure you can make a GREAT wine for much less
smiley16.gif
The only reason we beginner wine makers move too fast in the beginning is we need some wine to DRINK!!

I'll be drinking my Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz NEXT WEEK.

I may rack 5 gallons to a 5 gallon carboy and bottle the other gallon to drink if that's what needs to be done.
smiley29.gif

The more of this cabernau sobernou I drink the better it tastes, I may have to make a kit some day. Over.
smiley33.gif
I think I am getting ying yanged

Things died off here fast, that's what happens when the wine goes in the carboy I guess, How's that wine, yup, still there
smiley2.gif
four am came early this morning, I'll tell ya that, I get to sleep in tomorrow
smiley12.gif
I looked at the pictures of geo's store, it looks great, not like the places I go to...I had emailed him for shipping charges for a island mist kit and it was 17 which is high but if I do some math it might not be bad at all...43 for the kit and 17 is 60..here it is 50 kit 2.50 tax but 100 mile round trip that's 12 for gas 64.50 and half my day, or 60 delivered to my door...hey geo how do you like my math??
smiley20.gif
I need (want) a glass thief that holds the hydrometer, bottle sterilizer that squirts the camden up in the bottle and one of those cutters for getting the caps off the kit bags, I swear I'm going to cut myself with the knife trying to open those caps.
smiley11.gif

FYI

the wine thief is plastic not glass so it won't break like your hydrometer but remember scratches in on your plastic equipment is a great place for the nasty bacteria to hang out and ruin your wine!
banghead.gif

So I was wondering what you guys use as a heat source to boil down the sap to make maple syrup and how long it takes?

I made a maple porter beer recently and used 32 oz of Grade "B" in the secondary fermentation. I think it came out well and all that sugar really kicked up the alcohol!
beerchug.gif
Edited by: masta

On the maple question, I used to have a 4X6 evaporator of my own, it inhaled 6 cord of wood in the month we made syrup, I swaped it to heating oil, on paper it would have cost me 350 for fuel, but in real life it was 600 that year, I sold the evaporator the next year!!
smiley18.gif
now I take my sap to a proffesional sugarmaker and we go 50/50 so for every 80 gallons of sap I get 1 gallon of syrup. It works great he uses oil and has a 6X14 evaporator with 2 large oil guns, but he also has a 20,000 dollar reverse osmosis machine that removes 75% of the water at a great savings using electricity instead of oil (a high pressure pump forces the sap through a membrane so small that only pure water goes through, invented for water purification, in the sap industry we throw away the pure water and keep the solids). This works great for me much lower costs and he stays up all night and I go home and go to bed
smiley32.gif
my only cost is gas about 75 for the seasonto get to the sugar house about 35 miles away. I get my syrup in 5 gallon pails and hot pack it as I need it, I'll get setup and do about 10 gallons at a time. i haul 275 gallons of sap in a load I have 500 pails but will probably only hang 200 this year, I say this now but when that sap starts dripping its like a FEVER and I got to get that free sap!!!
smiley29.gif

The biggest pike I caugh is on my wall at home 10lb 6oz my boss is a master pipe ice fisherman, he holds the state record in Maine for pike, I think it is around 36lbs. The only problem is we catch the big ones the middle of March till the ice goes out and thats sap time for me, so I am crammed to get to go, the other thing is you fish all day for that one bite, very slow fishing but rewarding when you get a big one.

Latest posts

Back