AAASTINKIE is HERE!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I know that Frank would be super busy as usual. I had a nice day...went to the Urban Market....high end junk....was looking for anything wine or plants and anything else that cought my eye!!!

The weather was beautiful.Had a nice lunch, good wine and fun with my friend.

20070225_180035_100_0670_Small.jpg

I found a 5l demijohn with the word "Viresa" on the lip, I looked up antique demijohns and it looks like it could be from the 1800's based on the seams and the indention on the bottom. Also a cool dish. I love unusal old dishes.
20070225_180401_100_0672_Small.jpg

20070225_180454_100_0676_Small.jpg

The area of town we were in is a historical district....I could have stayed all day!!
20070225_180741_100_0668_Small.jpg

A Great Day!!!! Ramona

Love the blue sky and green grass....Up here on de-tundra we got our first substantial snow....So it goes.Edited by: Northern Winos

Ramona that is a nice find , Now you have to get some wine in the jug.

Might not be a good idea as you never know what theyve been storing in it Harry. I guess it could be okay if cleaned really well but that is not smooth glass and it would be very easy for bacteria and what not to hide in crevices. That is why you should not really use carboys that people have stored coins in as they scratch the glass and it is very hard to clean out those miniscule scratches. In my opinion a very beautiful display pce. but I dont think I would put wine in it. What are your opinions people?

Edited by: wade

I made another gallon of Vanilla extract today cause I was down to my last 2 1/2 gallons and I used 8 tablespoons this year cooking cookies......and ....you know......it has to age!!..
smiley29.gif

20070227_094303_vanilla_extract.jpg

WOW Frank...With all that OT you are working the quality of Vodka used has been kicked up a notch!
smiley36.gif

Go to EBay and get 1/2 lb Madagaskar vanilla beans per 1/2 gallon vodka, the extract grade are fine, and the price is right at this time, the easiest way to chop them is cut them into 1" pieces and run them through the food processor, what you need to do is expose the inner seeds to the vodka, let is age for a year and you will have some good stuff, give it a shake up every week or so to help it mix.

20070227_095305_vanilla_extract.jpg

I wrote this to RJ Spagnols:

I made an En Primeur Australian Chardonnay kit dated 20051019 on
10/19/06 that has a bitterness to it, I was wondering if you had any
problems with this kit? I have all the notes on making the kit if you
would like them.

The answer that tells me to test my oaked whites before giving them out (I gave a case to my sister and called her yesterday and she has given it all away, 12 people are going to think I'm a "hack"...lol)

I just checked our quality control and my own tracking, I have no
reports of issues with this kit. When was the wine bottled, it is a
fairly tannic wine, because of the amount of oak chips, so it may be
that it has not aged enough yet to allow the tannins to mellow.
</pre>

I've made that kit Stinkie and there was no bitterness to it whatsoever. Matter of fact, everyone who has tried it thinks that this is the best white kit I have ever made. I actually added extra oak after speaking with Dinesh Nair, who is spagnol's version of Tim V (but not as knowledgable as Tim).

Of course since it is an EP, I did age it for about 10 months before I started drinking it. Checking my notes, I had trouble with this kit clearing properly, but cold stabilization fixed that. I'd say you just have to age this kit. I find that EP whites take at least 6-7 months aging, while EP reds take 14-18 months aging to be good.

Today I racked my Oktorerfest to a secondary and added 500ml Maple syrup boiled and cooled in 500ml water.
20070228_120112_maple_oktoberfe.jpg

So Frank, do you add the maple syrup for flavoring and sweetness, or is it to bump up the alcohol- or both? That must be some sweet beer! Oh and do you still need to add sugar for carbonation before bottling.
I wonder what would happen if you started a beer with maple sap instead of water? 5 gallons of sap would yield about 1/8 gallon syrup. Ferment with that as well as normal stuff and then add some syrup at the end.

Hmmmmmmm....................
You have me thinking now. May need a road trip to my dear OLD brother's place. He's tapping this week.

I will allow the Maple to ferment out, then prime with more Maple, I did this with1 gallon of Pilsner last year and the head was fantastic!!

20070228_131428_maple_pilsner.jpg

Damn stinkie..I don't even drink beer but that looks might good. Might make a convert outa me

Man that does look good. Im not much of a beer drinker eithe because I
really dont like many commercial beers but every time I go to Maltose
Express which is a local beer and wine supply store near me they
usually have 2 of their beers on tap and I always like them. I think Im
gonna have to invest in a few items to make a batch!

Wade, I highly recommend making your own beer! It is worlds above anything you can purchase commercially, unless you have a local microbrew near you. And if you DO happen to have a local microbrew near you, go in, introduce yourself to the brewmaster as a fellow fermenter of all things good, and he might let you take home some liquid yeast culture! Yeast contributes to about 30% of the flavor profile in beer, and almost every brewery has a unique culture. It all makes seriously good stuff!

OK, maybe I am a little OCD, I had to drive through a blizzard (OK it was just a snow storm, and not that bad) to go to the health food store (100 miles round trip) to pick up my ice wine kit today, even though I can't start it yet I just had to have it with me, I also got the ingredients to make a maple pilsner to maybe enter in Samuel Adams Long Shot contest, and man it would be a long shot!!..lol..
smiley29.gif

Latest posts

Back