A white wine experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
Im trying ti make one gallon of white grape wine from welches. I did the pectic enzyme in the primary.
It is under lock in the refer for 3 weeks or more and is still hazey.
I'm reluctant to use a package of klaro because i cant see using something that was made for a large batch on a gallon.
I am thinking of using pectic enzyme again or maybe a dose of bentonite.

Any ideas.
I promised the guy at the NAPA store a bottle and he said he likes white wine.
Its an experiment so ill try anything sensable
smiley1.gif

I've heard people trying to use 1/5th of a klaro package but I've never tried myself.

Coaster said:
I've heard people trying to use 1/5th of a klaro package but I've never tried myself.
I read the same thing on this site recently but i wont open the package.
Thanks for the reply
smiley1.gif

I have a bottle of Isinglass that I can add a drop at a time. I just did the calculations per gallon and add that much. Works great every time. I don't see where George sells the dropper bottle anymore. Looks like he just has the one use packets.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

smurfe said:
I have a bottle of Isinglass that I can add a drop at a time. I just did the calculations per gallon and add that much. Works great every time. I don't see where George sells the dropper bottle anymore. Looks like he just has the one use packets.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

How does the stuff keep if i transfer the packets to dropper bottles????
smiley1.gif

I bought it in the bottle. I don't really know about its shelf life. It has a flip top cap. you flip it open, squirt or drop out how much you want and flip the top closed. I bought it specifically for small batches.

Smurfe

I've used the Super Kleer on a gallon and just kind of eye balled it and it worked out fine......Ramona

is super Kleer made from an animal by product?

(to the question you're asking: no I'm not a tree hugger. I think animals are great... Better with a little steak sauce)

Super-Kleer contains Kieselsol and Chitosan

Kieselsol is a proprietary name for a fining agent belonging to the class of silica dioxides and has an action very similar to that of bentonite. Silica dioxides electrostatically bind with positively charged proteins in wine and initiate flocculation and settling.

Chitosan is a non-proteinaceous fining agent, a polysaccharide of the Sucrose Polymer family. It is derived from chitin extracted from ocean shellfish, the same organic material that makes up fingernails and human hair. It works by a process of molecular adsorption, where the Chitosan has an electrical charge, which attracts oppositely charged particles clouding the wine, binding them and pulling them out of suspension.
It s also used as a food additive and dietary supplement. Although it is derived from shellfish, there is absolutely no danger of any allergic reactions to the product, as there are no allergens left after the Chitosan is processed.

Latest posts

Back