A New Batch of Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting article NW......May account for why I never have indigestion. Between the Muscadine wine, jelly, pies and cobbler not to mention the ones I eat when picking and processing

Hey Waldo,

My father in law gave me two muscadinecutting off his mature plants. Hope to have a batch ready in a year or two.
smiley4.gif

Great...They need lots of sun.full sun all day is best and good drainage. Do you know what variety they are? Are they self pollinators? Edited by: Waldo

We have the other problem here. Our soil is so well draining that it dries out to fast. We need to water our outside plants almost every day. I may have to hook up some type of drip irrigation. They are self pollinators. I think he said the were Black Beauties but not sure. I know the make great wine. He has been making wine from them for about 8 years now.

CajunTim, What is the subsoil like? Is it just as well drained or is there a fast drying layer of topsoil over slower draining subsoil. If it is just the topsoil, once the vines are established they would not need supplemental watering unless you have prolonged dry spells. If you could set up drip irrigation, that would give you the best insurance. Just be carefull not to overwater.

Cajun Tim

If you're interested in drip irrigation & need pointers PM me. I've set it up over thousands of feet of irrigation. I would check out the Drip Store www.dripirrigation.com

Appleman, I live in central <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:State>. The topsoil, midsoil, and subsoil is all fairly sandy. Not real bad but does let the water seep quickly. Good news is These vines tend to thrive in this area.BJ, I use the way my grand-father taught me. Gallon milk jugs filled with water and turned upside down with plastic tube hanging down from the cap.Keeps you active with your plants.Funny, the little things you learn in life if you lesion to your elders.
smiley1.gif

Ok Waldo and all you Muscadine grape guys out there.

I was feeling a little jealous of you all and your vineyard and plants so I was wandering around Lowe's tonight and spotted gallon potted vines for 5.98$ so I "scuped" one up for my self. Not that I can do anything with it on the balcony but just wanted watch it and see what happens. I would take a picture but it is pretty mucha bunch ofsticks right now. It is a Fry Muscadine Bronze.I'm just going to look at the pretty vines think about you all!!!!
druif20.gif

Ramona

Ramona....put that poor plant in the ground someplace....Do you have community gardens in your city????You could be the only one there with a vineyard.

Way to go Ramona. Any idea which one of the Fry varities of Bronze it is, Late, Early etc.

Waldo,
I says it fruits in mid September, and NW, I thought about that. My friend has a ranch but pretty far from here I could have her plant it. And jobe, that trellis is a great idea too. I'll have to look up growing grapes in small places today at work.

Ramona

Racked and stabilized the Muscadine yesterday at an SG of .996. It took quite a bit of stirring to degass this one but I finally got it done. Everything seemed to be in good balance and will probably sweeten at least part of it when I get ready to bottle it. Will make more on that determination when the time comes. I plan on bulk aging it for at least 3 months in the carboy. The gallon jug to the left of the Muscadine is the experimental batch which is still clearing nicely and the gallon on the right is a plum that I am planning on bottling this weekend. I actually have 5 gallon of the plum.

muscadineracked3207.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Thanks Ramona

Cajun I am not sure, they were given to me by my wife's Aunt and Uncle

The Plum is very nice I think wade. It was one of the hardest I have done insofar as getting the acid balanced like I wanted it but it has finished nicely. The yellow I think is the best and both will need a few more months of aging.

Romona, The Fry is a bronze fruit, with very large clusters of fruit. However FRY is a FEMALE variety and must have a self fertle variety planted with it. I would look for a CARLOS, a GOLDEN ISLES, a DOREEN or a TARA these are all self fertile and are all bronze. If you would like you could also plant a NOBLE which is a large black variety which is very good for wine making or a NESBITT also a large black fruit. These will not cross pollinate.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

I went ahead and racked the Muscadine again as I am going to be adding some Oak to it soon and I think it has about dropped all the sediment it is going to.
DSCN0005-5.jpg

I also bottled a Green Apple Riesling which was tweaked
DSCN0004-4.jpg

and my Golden Plum
DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN0008-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back