A New Batch of Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Decided early Sunday morning to get another 5 gallonbatch of Muscadine brewing so braving the wind and cold I gathered 30 lbs of my frozen Muscadines, lit a fire under my steamer juicer and battled the wind and the cold to get the job done.
steamingmuscadines-1.jpg

After each layer of frozen muscadines in the steamer, I added about4 cups of sugar

steamingmuscadines2.jpg

I have found that this aids the juicing tremendously.
steamingmuscadines4.jpg

I ended up with about 3-3/4 gallons of Muscadine Juice

DSCN0006-4.jpg

As I finished steaming each batch, I put the hulls in a strainer bag
steamingmuscadines5.jpg

The SG of the juice after I let it cool down to 70 degrees was right on 1.095 with a total of 10 lbs sugar added during steaming. I dissolved 5 campden tablets, added this along with 5 tsp Yeast Nutrient to the must and stirred it well bringing liquid level to 5-1/2 Gallon and put the strainer bag with the pulp in the fermenter. After tasting, I decided the acidity was just about right for my liking so I let this sit overnight, stirring it good again this morning. I checked SG again and it was at 1.105. There was more sugar left in the pulp than I had anticipated. I went ahead and added 1/4 tsp liquid pectic enzyme. Stirred it well and put the lid on. When I got home this evening, the must temp was at 72 degrees. I drained out 1/2 gallon into my 2 gallon fermenter and pitched the Red Star Montrachet yeast to the must.
steamingmuscadines6.jpg

Taking the 1/2 gallon I had drained out, I added a quart of Welches, White Grape-Blueberry-Kiwi, one quart of warm water and one can Welches frozen concentrate that I had thawed out during the day. To this experimental batch I pitched a Red Star Pasteur Red.
mixture.jpg

Edited by: Waldo

Gee, those Muscadine berries look good, plump and juicey....Do they taste like grapes??? Or so they have a flavor all their own???

Looks great Waldo
smiley32.gif
, I wonder what the big difference would be if you added the sugar "After" instead of when you steam?

Also, I was looking at the different muscadine and scuppernong vines at Ison's Nursery ( isonsnursery.com ) and they show certain varieties that are good for wine making, and many others, but only a few for wine making. Does this really make a difference? I figured you knew a guy that grows these things, maybe you could find out for us which vines make the best wines.

WOW! I sure love the pictures!
smiley32.gif
Thanks for sharing with us and keep us up to date. I'd love to see it though to the end, carboy, bottling, labeled. That way I can feel the pleasure of making my own wine from scratch through your pictures. Since I just haven't mastered that talent of "scratch" wine!
smiley23.gif

Waldo, you have prompted me to add sugar to my steamer. I have never done this, but will try it next time. Do you think there is a difference???

SECOND POST...Not sure what happened but I posted a reply early this morning and it seems to have "poofed"
Again, "Thanks All" and not necessarly in order they were asked but:
NW the Muscadine has its own distinct nose and flavor. Other than the texture and appearanceI cannot think of a grape it resembles.
Jobe the sugar added during steaming makes a tremendous difference in the amount of juices extraced. Mr Boyd, from whom I got my Muscadines favors the Black Beauty, Ison and there is one other butI can't think ofit right now. I will find out for you though.
It is an awesome odor during straming, not withjust the Muscadines butwith any fruit.
I am glad everyone is enjoying the pictures and will keep this updated as the wine progresses.
Speaking of which, it's time to go check them and see how they are doing.

The experimental batch seems to have got a little jump start on the Muscadine. At a must temp of 74 degrees it has a good strong fermentation in progress.

testfermenting.jpg

At a must temp of 70 degrees the Muscadine has signs of fermentation beginning and should be going full blast by in the morning.
fermentationbeginning.jpg

I punched down the strainer bag and gave her a gentle stirring, sang a few bars of "Pretty Woman" to her, gave her a little pat and tucked her in for the night.
smiley36.gif

Very nice Waldo as always a great pictorial.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">For those interested. CARLOS(self fertile) is a Bronze small fruit size is good for wine making. NOBLE (self fertle) is a BLACK fruit medium sized. This is excellent for red table wine.Others good for wine are REGALE lg blue black,STERLING yellow and the old SCUPERNONGB bronze. There are many mor but this is some of the mist popular varities for wine making.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Doesn't Mrs. Waldo get jealous that you are very stirring to her,sing to her , pat her down and tuck her in for the night?
smiley36.gif
Love those bubbles!

smiley36.gif
Ya gotta cajole them appleman. But you have to know when to quit too cause if I had a kept a singing I would have had that muscadine a spewing all over the dining room floor.

Fermentation continues strong on the Muscadine. After taking this picture I pulled the strainer bag from the fermenter.
muscadinefermnting.jpg

SG is at 1.090 and is tasting mighty fine
The experimntal batch continues to ferment vigrously and think it may finish off as a good stand alone wine or be an excellent blending wine. Time will tell.
experiment.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo,

What happened to the Calcium Carbonate for the tartness? Does the steaming do something to the grapes where it's not needed?

ps. Started my first batch of muscadine wine using you recipe. So far so good. I'll keep you posted.

byurod I have two possible answers for your question about the tartness of this particular batch..First, it may have something to do with the amount of time they were frozen, secondly, my taster may be out of whack and other than those I really have no answer. At last tasting, yesterday, it was still right where I wanted it so that kinda eliminates the second theory.
Good luck on your batch and please do keep us posted on it

Waldo your wine looks fantastic. When do you have time, don't you have a full time job too??
03-grapes.gif
Ramona

Thanks Ramona..... I do indeed have a full ime job and I guess I have somewhat of an advantgage in getting up around 1:30-2AM every day. While everyone else is snoozing i'm busy with my wines or on here

Latest posts

Back