A New Batch of Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern Winos said:
rgecaprock said:
ok, my next question is.....When do you sleep?

I watch for the time on his Posts too...I have come to the conclusion that he sleeps at work...

Now that's funny!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Bwahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...Just don't call and tell my boss or wake me up

Racked the Muscadine to glass early this morning before leaving for work, er I mean my nap
smiley36.gif

muscadineracked202.jpg

Left her plenty of headspace for now and put the rest in a half gallon carboy....See, im definately getting refined. They used to be half gallon jugs. Anyhow, today is my Darlings Birthday and I am taking her out to Bennihanna's for Dinner as soon as she finishes getting readyand afterwards we will indulge in a very nice fruit torte my son made for his Mom for her birthday.
torte.jpg

I believe a glass of Port will do nicely with this torteEdited by: Waldo

Wow......... I didn't read the bottom line in your post as I'm drueling over the torte thinking how good that would be with a glass of Blackberry Port......... to funny.............

Re fined.......... yea right..........

About as much as me
20070202_174647_a7362.gif

Wow, Waldo what a beautiful color the wine is and your son had definitly inherited your culinary genes.

Tell your lovely wife "Happy Birthday".

Enjoy your evening together. Ramona
flowrbar.gif

You will have to call it her "Port Torte". You are talking about your wife this time, eh? Never can tell, you talk about patting your darlings down and putting them to bed and such(you are really attached to those babies)- maybe you are taking you batches of brew out to Bennihanna's!

Anyway tell her Happy Birthday from all the gang here!
smiley31.gif

Thanks all.......Had a wonderful dinner and the tort was better than it looked. I opend a bottle of my very young Port to accompany it.
smiley20.gif

Kat said thanks for the Birthday wishesEdited by: Waldo

Hey Waldo, wish your wife a happy birthday from me. You know that carboy says currant on it right! Dont get confused!

The other side denotes the correct type wade...thought I would do it like an old suitcase. Just leave the stickers on for the different types that had been made in it.

Wine is looking good Waldo. My wife came in as I was reading your post and said how delicious the torte looked and was wondering if you would share the recipe?
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Bill...Sorry, I missed this post. I have contacted my son and he is going to send me the recipe soon.
The Muscadine, unbelievably is still fermenting. She is down to about one good burp ever 3-4 minutes but still going. I can't say I have ever seen the Montrachet keep going this long. It has been around 62 degrees in the area it is fermenting in too and I know that has had an impact. Will get some pictures posted soon. Oh yes, the experimental batch has been stabilized and is clearing nicely. Pretty fizzy right now so I know it needs more degassing. Will post pictures of both batches.

Thought I would share this for those who are unfamiliar with the Muscadine.

<H2>History of the Muscadine - The South’s Own Grape</H2>
Throughout the Southeastern United States, along rivers, creek banks, throughout forests, all wooded areas, fence rows, etc. many millions of different muscadine seedlings have been discovered. Perhaps the seeds were scattered by opossum, raccoons, birds or deer because of their delightful taste and aroma.

Occasionally an outstanding seedling would be discovered here and there. However, the majority of muscadines and bullis were too twangy, too acid, too sour, with not enough sugar to interest growers for cultivation.

In 1554 the greatest discovery of any grape species in America was found by a member of the Sir Walter Raliegh colony. It was the grand old scuppernong vine – also called “Mother Vine”, “The Big White Grape”, “Grape of the South”, “Grape of Grapes”, and “The South’s Own Grape.”

Much confusion exists as to what a Scuppernong and what is a muscadine, the thinking being that the scuppernong is white and the muscadine is black. The fact is all are muscadines whether white, black, or red. Many dark muscadines were called Bullis especially in South Carolina because of the resemblance to European plum bearing the name. “Bull Grape” is a corruption of the same, likewise “bullet”. Scuppernong grape is a sport of the Species Vitis Rotundiofolia, commonly called muscadine, which is native to the Southern States and grows nowhere else except as an exotic.

Of the score of so of grape species native to the United States, the scuppernong was the earliest to prove interesting to winemakers and continues to present date. The word scuppernong is derived from Askuonong, whichj interepreted from the S. Algonquion language meaning “at” (or in) the place (country) of the Askupo. The Askupo in turn is the Magnolia glouea, a small tree growing in swamps (or bays as magnolia swamps are called in North Carolina). The plant now popularly known as “sweet bay”, “swamp bay”, “sassafras”, etc was mentioned as early as 1588 by Thomas Harot; “Ascopo a kind of tree very like unto Lowell, the bark hoat and spicie.”

The grape of the South was discovered as an original wild scuppernong vine in 1554 and was still found bearing fruit after 350 years. Another name is the Sir Walter Raleigh vine discovered off Roanoke Island, North Carolina in Tyrrell County (records of over three tons were harvested from this vine which covered several acres). From this vine many thousands of plants were rooted and transplanted throughout the southeast, and noticed growing on plantation and homestead in shape of the old scuppernong arbor.

I had read that the first wines ever made in the New Country [America] was probably Muscadine Wine and was made in Florida.

Man, reading this makes me want to grow grapes badly. Waldo, do you pick yours wild or do you have some growing in your yard. Same question for you jobe.

I have been picking them both domestically and wild wade. I have vines now growing in my yard that should start producing some this year.

Wade: I learned a lot about scuppernong this year. Apparently, there are scuppernong vines that will produce fruit for wine, and others that produce an edible fruit, not so good for wine making. I bought grapes this year at 2 different farmers market, oe in NC, and the other in VA. The NC fruit, produced the wine that you sampled, very fruity and a pleasant flavor. The VA fruit, produced achohol, no flavor, no body..... nothing! I was told that there is a difference, and I needed certain vines for making wine. TyTy's talks about wine making on certain vines, not on others, sam with Ison's Nursery.

I have not found this in real life with the Muscadines yet, however, the 2 nursery's mentioned, say the same thing about muscadines.

I have 2 plants that I planted last year and are growing like mad, About 25 feet long now, just a couple of feet tall when planted. I don't know if they would grow in your zone, but the plants are cheap enough, I would give 2 plants a try if you could put them on a sunny side of a building to help keep them warmer in the winter.

Thanks guys. I definitely want to try to grow some grapes, maybe this year or maybe next Ill start. I have a lot of work on my house to do this year so dont know if Ill have time to play with them this year.

Latest posts

Back