A Hot Topic!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright Rat, I'm in on the Jim Beam!! OMG the forum is so bad for me. :)

The additional issue with all this is you can't find used 375ml bottles so I am buying a lot of screw cap bottles for the cordials (I know it's spelled wrong but speel check isn't picking it up). As far as the cherry pits giving it an almond flavor, when I was investigating making an almond extract several recipes called for using fruit pits.

[quote="the_rayway;]
Of course, I also do the homemade Kahlua with fresh vanilla beans. Worth every cent![/quote]

My wife is a kahlua addict... So please share, how do you make homemade kahlua? This will buy me major husband points...

My wife is a kahlua addict... So please share, how do you make homemade kahlua? This will buy me major husband points...

This is a great recipe, and super easy to cut down to the size you need. My soon to be Sister In Law can drink through a Litre in a night!

9 cups fresh brewed coffee (I like to use a sweet, dark roast, fresh ground beans)
9 cups sugar
9 cups vodka
9 fresh, split vanilla beans

Once the coffee is brewed, I stir the sugar in until it's dissolved. Split & scrape the vanilla beans and toss into the hot mixture. Wait till it cools. Put mixture into large glass container, and add vodka.

Taste often, and once you're happy with the vanilla flavour, discard pods and strain mixture (or don't strain and have small vanilla seeds for 'character). After a month or two, it's really mellow and smooth.
____
Dan: I've been using canning jars and some fun things I have lying around: Wild Blueberry in the Tequila bottle; Apricot in the cut crystal, Pear-Vanilla and Orange are in the oil & vinegar bottles. (The pear-vanilla is AMAZING)

I have to be honest. I kind of prefer the canning jars, they look pretty cool all lined up with those beautiful colours.

WP_001044.jpg

Fresh Manitoba Pears (Ure, very high in tannins) - fill up the jar (500mL). Then I topped up with homemade vanilla vodka (Tag No.5 with two split vanilla beans). 1/2 cup sugar.

I don't think I will do anything else with it. It's absolutely perfect as it is: rich pear with mellow vanilla and just the right sweetness.

I'll have to check around to see where I can get more Ure's next year. I hear that a distant relative has a massive tree in her yard...and they are no good for eating :)

This is a great recipe, and super easy to cut down to the size you need. My soon to be Sister In Law can drink through a Litre in a night!

9 cups fresh brewed coffee (I like to use a sweet, dark roast, fresh ground beans)
9 cups sugar
9 cups vodka

Once the coffee is brewed, I stir the sugar in until it's dissolved. Split & scrape the vanilla beans and toss into the hot mixture. Wait till it cools. Put mixture into large glass container, and add vodka.

Taste often, and once you're happy with the vanilla flavour, discard pods and strain mixture (or don't strain and have small vanilla seeds for 'character). After a month or two, it's really mellow and smooth.

Thanks... This will make great stocking stuffer!

Kahlua Recipe - Storage

9 cups sugar
9 cups vodka

____
Rayway,
I really want to try and make this Kahlua. Do you just sanitize any glass bottle and store it in there? Screw top lid ok? How long does it normally keep for?

Thanks,
Jules

Sorry Jules, this didn't show up in my "quotes"! Hopefully you've got things figured out?

Latest posts

Back