A Hot Topic!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I guess I need to get out more often! I haven't been to Walmart for a while. Did not know they sold half gallon jars. Thanks, that will be useful when I start my next batch of fermented pepper sauce.

Ok, I guess I need to get out more often! I haven't been to Walmart for a while. Did not know they sold half gallon jars. Thanks, that will be useful when I start my next batch of fermented pepper sauce.

Just go to Costco and buy the gallon jar of pickles. Eat the pickles and you have a nice wide mouth gallon jar. I think they are $3.59 at Costco for the kosher dill.

Doug as far as extracts go, I have the same as you plus lemon. Right now I am playing around with making flavored cordials with cheap vodka. I have blackberry, elderberry, red & black raspberry and mixed berry. Some of the fruit was harvested by me or friends and others came from GFS like the mixed berry. Oh yeah, now jalapeno.

LMAO, I was waiting for that. I was reading another article that said the seeds didn't contribute to the heat ( I thought they did). All I know is my face is burning and I'm coughing and sneezing lake crazy. My wife came into the kitchen and and just said OMG and walked back out gagging. I couldn't talk her into cleaning out the sink. I guess I didn't wash my hands good enough either because 'ol willy was complaining also. AGGGGG

I literally laughed so hard I had tears running!

They always tell you not to touch your eyes - but never mention anywhere else! Use fresh lemon juice or high proof alcohol on your hands after washing thoroughly, then wash again. I had to start being more careful after I had the kids - you don't want THEM burning after I change their diapers!! Eek!!

I've been doing experimenting with liqueurs for a few years now as well. I do apricot, blueberry, cherry, orange, and spiced. I've been quite happy with them so far. Mostly I use them in mixed drinks (gin, lemon juice, grenadine, apricot liqueur, and some simple syrup. Yum!), but for those who enjoy a high proof sipper they are nice as well.

Of course, I also do the homemade Kahlua with fresh vanilla beans. Worth every cent!

LMAO, I was waiting for that. I was reading another article that said the seeds didn't contribute to the heat ( I thought they did). All I know is my face is burning and I'm coughing and sneezing lake crazy. My wife came into the kitchen and and just said OMG and walked back out gagging. I couldn't talk her into cleaning out the sink. I guess I didn't wash my hands good enough either because 'ol willy was complaining also. AGGGGG

OMG Thanks for the laugh Dan! :) :) :)

Ray when making your Liqueurs are you just soaking them in vodka? How long do you keep the fruit in the jars before draining off the vodka?

Vodka and sugar, as the sugar helps with the flavour extraction.

I've had my new batches from the late summer on fruit for just over 3 months now. Will be pouring the liquor off soon. I just wait until the fruit looks all white and sad. That's when you know it's given all it can.

Basic idea is: fill jar with fruit up to 1.5" from the top. Add sugar (1c/litre jar), then fill 'er up with alcohol. Shake shake shake for a few weeks, then store in the dark for a few months. Pour/rack off the fruit, then sweeten extra if needed before putting in finishing bottles. I've had really good luck doing it this way.

How are you making yours? Apologies if I'm hijacking! :ot:

Thats great thats what I was asking. Last time I did it, I added fruit till jar was full and filled it to the top with vodka. That was in January and I put it away. I forgot all about it until Sept and strained it off the fruit and added simple syrup to taste. It was very good and thats why I'm making more.
I knew someone else that made it and they add sugar up front also and some don't, Also the batch I started a few weeks ago are already pure white like the elderberries but I was going to leave it go until at least Christmas. Thoughts?

Dan,

Dont restrict your infusions to just vodka. I do an infusion with sour pie cherries and Jim Beam. I fill 2 quart jar 1/2 full with cherries, pits and all. The pits give an almond flavor. I use potato peeler and put in a few pieces of lemon peel along with 1 1/2 cup sugar. Fill to the top with Jim Beam and let it work for 6 months, Always a big hit around here.

RR

Thats great thats what I was asking. Last time I did it, I added fruit till jar was full and filled it to the top with vodka. That was in January and I put it away. I forgot all about it until Sept and strained it off the fruit and added simple syrup to taste. It was very good and thats why I'm making more.
I knew someone else that made it and they add sugar up front also and some don't, Also the batch I started a few weeks ago are already pure white like the elderberries but I was going to leave it go until at least Christmas. Thoughts?

What type of fruit is it? I find that some of the softer fruits like raspberries tend to bleach quickly, but still have a bit more to give in terms of flavours. I say let it go till Christmas!

Looks like you're in for a tasty time :h enjoy!

I also agree about using other types of alcohol. My hazelnut extract is using over proof rum. So far so good! If I could use bourbon, I totally would. *sigh*

Latest posts

Back