RJ Spagnols 8 days in Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msfgroup

Reaction score
I have 2 whites in Primary Fermenters and just checked it to rack to carboys and the air locks are gurgling every 12-15 seconds I am concerned that its not at the point of racking. I have not taken the SG due to the activity in the primary.

What is everyone's thoughts?

Thanks

MSFGROUP

I don't speak for everyone, but my advice is to take the SG reading. Then you will know. My secondary fermentation often bubbles at 5-10 second intervals initially. That's not a good measure of when to rack.

What's the room temp and must temp?
CO2 may play a role but check the SG.

I don't speak for everyone, but my advice is to take the SG reading. Then you will know. My secondary fermentation often bubbles at 5-10 second intervals initially. That's not a good measure of when to rack.

Agreed, AZMDTed is right, the airlock is an indicator of some activity, but your hydrometer is your guide. Check the SG and make your assessment from there.

I've got one gurgling that I started about 7 days ago. Noticed it slowing a bit, so I took off the cover and the SG was 1.006. I know many rack at 1.010, but I'm lazy and have had it under airlock the whole time, it's still sizzling away, I'll think about moving it tomorrow evening. Never had a bad experience, yet, letting it go dry in the primary, as long as it is under airlock towards the end. I wouldn't get concerned it has taken 8 days, just check that SG and go from there.

It is a Raspberry/Peach Sangria, it smells fantastic (BM 4x4 yeast).

I've got one gurgling that I started about 7 days ago. Noticed it slowing a bit, so I took off the cover and the SG was 1.006. I know many rack at 1.010, but I'm lazy and have had it under airlock the whole time, it's still sizzling away, I'll think about moving it tomorrow evening. Never had a bad experience, yet, letting it go dry in the primary, as long as it is under airlock towards the end. I wouldn't get concerned it has taken 8 days, just check that SG and go from there.

It is a Raspberry/Peach Sangria, it smells fantastic (BM 4x4 yeast).

Going to dry in the primary... That's one of the reasons I like doing RJS VdV kits. Mix ingredients, stir, pitch your yeast, lock it down in a reasonably temp controlled environment (for me its usually the kitchen) and forget about it for two weeks.

Latest posts

Back