7 weeks into a kit - a few questions...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixdoubleo

Reaction score
Im about 7 weeks into a Moments Advintage Zin kit. It's in a 6-gallon carboy and according to the instructions is ready to bottle.

However, it currently tastes a bit "flat". I'm not sure if that's the right word necessarily, but basically it isn't sour, bitter, or anything like that. It just seems to have a very flat, nonexistent, uninteresting taste. Is this youngness I am tasting? And is it likely to improve with time?

Like many beginners I hammered the crap out of this wine during degassing (2-3 hours of degassing with a drill, 3 nights in a row) and fear that I might have introduced too much oxygen into the wine. But if that were the case, wouldn't it have a very vinegar-like taste?

Anyway, just wanted to get some advice on what a wine would typically taste like at this point and if this flatness I'm tasting is just simply characteristic of a young wine.

Im not familiar with this kit as its not readily available to me here but am guessing its a lower end kit with a starting sg of around 1.085. These smaller kits usually lack in flavor and body but are early drinkers and a good learning experience. It will get a little betr with a few months of aging though.

Im not familiar with this kit as its not readily available to me here but am guessing its a lower end kit with a starting sg of around 1.085. These smaller kits usually lack in flavor and body but are early drinkers and a good learning experience. It will get a little betr with a few months of aging though.

Yeah the starting SG on this was 1.090. I started a Wine Expert Merlot kit a couple weeks ago but I'm at work and don't remember offhand the starting SG...I have it in my notes.

Do you have any recommendations for kits that might have a more full body? I'm willing to sit on them much longer if I can get some bigger flavor. I'm mostly interested in reds.

"Like many beginners I hammered the crap out of this wine during degassing (2-3 hours of degassing with a drill, 3 nights in a row) and fear that I might have introduced too much oxygen into the wine. But if that were the case, wouldn't it have a very vinegar-like taste?"

I also did this with my first kit (WE Chilean Merlot), but for only about 25 minutes, one time. I am interested in what will happen, my guess is early oxidation, but is there any way to tell how early? (I did add 1/4 tsp K-Meta before bottling as per instructions for stoarge over 6 months)

Also, on bottling, I had a 1/2 bottle left so I used that for tasting the next day (stored under vacuum using one of those vacuuum cork/hand pump gizmos). Tasted OK, maybe a little flat as in above, but overall it was OK. It seemed to turn sour very quickly however (maybe 30 minutes after openeing the bottle) -- could that be due to the over degas issue?

Last edited:
Does your kit have any further additions to it? Some come with a F-pac or similar which might finish it off, or you can consider adding one of your own making. Degassing hard might drive off some delicate flavors but it shouldn't make the flavor flat.

No F-Pac or anything similar. I'm OK with the taste, especially for my first effort -- I'm more worried about how much of an oxidation problem I have, or will have.

Thanks

Last edited:
Like many beginners I hammered the crap out of this wine during degassing (2-3 hours of degassing with a drill, 3 nights in a row) and fear that I might have introduced too much oxygen into the wine. But if that were the case, wouldn't it have a very vinegar-like taste?

1. As I understand it, oxidized wine has a sherry like taste, not vinegar.

2. Most beginners do not degas enough, rather than too much.

Steve

Latest posts

Back