Wine Buddy kit very slow fermentation.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plato25

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi

Whilst waiting for some wines to mature I thought I would give Wine Buddy 7 day Kit a go in the meantime.

It went off like a volcano for about 3-4 days then quietened down. It hasn’t stopped, very slow (4 bubbles/min) fermentation. Now 2/3 bubbles a min.

I took SG about a week ago. It was 1.040. Some way to go so I let it continue.

It looks as if it’s never going to end. Help! What next?

I know from previous posts that you own a refractometer, and I think that you also own a hydrometer.
You aren't, by chance, reporting a refractometer reading here, are you?

Otherwise, I say "patience."

Hi

Thanks for your reply. No I was using a hydrometer for SG . I’ll check it again this weekend. Hopefully it will be below 1.040.

I’m concerned that it seems to be going on forever and whether that is undesirable. If not I guess it’s patience as you say

Hi

Thanks for your reply. No I was using a hydrometer for SG . I’ll check it again this weekend. Hopefully it will be below 1.040.

I’m concerned that it seems to be going on forever and whether that is undesirable. If not I guess it’s patience as you say
I am not familiar with the Wine Buddy kits but I did watch a YouTube video on making them. With that amount of sugar (nearly 9 pounds), it seems odd that you are having an issue. May I ask what yeast you used? Another thought I had, and I am not sure of your set up, if you have the wine in a fermenter with a lid and air lock, be sure the lid is tightly sealed otherwise some of the CO2 could be escaping other than through the airlock. If this is the case, you may be pleasantly surprised when you remeasure the SG.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum.

What are you fermenting. I assume a commercial juice, and that can produce odd results, depending on what's in it.
The kit was a WB 7 day red wine kit. Commercial grape juice for sure but not any particular variety. Yeast is I think EC 1118. It went off like a volcano for a few days and ever since very slow. I assumed it was near completion but about a week ago it was 1.040. So still some way to go.

I’m only concerned it will taste awful. But general opinion seems to be be just the opposite. I hope so. It’s a 7 day kit now 25 days on the go.

The kit was a WB 7 day red wine kit. Commercial grape juice for sure but not any particular variety.
Many moons ago I experimented with commercial juices, with mixed results. I had a few ferment to completion although some quit before then. Most contain a stabilizer such as sorbate, which is birth control for yeast.

It's very likely you'll produce a sweet wine cooler type beverage. It's not gonna be a high end red wine, but will probably taste good, in a wine cooler type way.

Put the wine under airlock and ignore it for a month. If fermentation doesn't resume, it's probably not going to. At that point you may choose to stabilize and bottle.

Many moons ago I experimented with commercial juices, with mixed results. I had a few ferment to completion although some quit before then. Most contain a stabilizer such as sorbate, which is birth control for yeast.

It's very likely you'll produce a sweet wine cooler type beverage. It's not gonna be a high end red wine, but will probably taste good, in a wine cooler type way.

Put the wine under airlock and ignore it for a month. If fermentation doesn't resume, it's probably not going to. At that point you may choose to stabilize and bottle.
Today took a 2ng SG. It’s now 1.030 after week. Last week it was 1.040. So progress is happening. Just need to wait now - abt a month.

Latest posts

Back