50 gallon batch...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samh200

Reaction score
How much yeast and what kind of yeast do you all sugest I use to a 50 gallon batch of strawberry (real fruit) ?

Putting all your eggs in one basket huh? I would think you'd need a minimum of 250 lbs. of strawberries. One of the commercial guys will come along to help answer....

Last edited:
Just an un educated guess. If i use 1 pkg of dry yeast and a proper starter bottle for 6 gallons, i guess 8 pks would easily do for 50 gallons. I would make a very large starter bottle 5 gallons or more and aerate the starter bottle and definitely aerate the juice with a bubbler before pirching.
Just an off the top guess on my part. (((50 Gallons---WOW))). It definitely inspires thought.

Thanks for the info... But what kind of yeast would use? if i was to do another batch and add bananas how much would I add or is it 50/50? And in not really putting all my eggs in one basket...I have about 5800 lbs of strawberrys i have to do somthing with. I making alot of jelly, jam, wine, and jaring alot whole... I will try to post some pics of all this... Thanks for all an any info you all have

I'd go with 71B-1122 for a yeast

And i'd probably go up to 10 packets, and make a nice-sized starter out of it

Bananas are usually just a few pounds per 5-6 gallon batch, for body/mouthfeel and such

Be sure to use plenty of yeast nutrient to keep the yeast going good for strawberry. It only takes a couple packets to kick it off. If you ferment it in a couple Brutes, you can just add two packets to each to kick it off. Starter is optional, but won't hurt. Yeast choice is up to you, but we use a simple Pasteur Red here.

I agree with Rich. If you are buying a large package of yeast (which is cheaper if you making a lot of other batches) use 1.25 grams per gallon. As others stated above make a starter and use the same amount of goferm in your starter. I would add a nutrient such as fermaid once you're about 2/3's through fermentation.

Woah

I wanna live, where you live
I can find a lot of fruits in large quantities.. But strawberries isnt one of them.

My back hurts, im drooling, and half of its your fault :)

Good gosh! Looks like it will be a race to process all those strawberries before spoilage. My hat's off to you man! :b I've seen small wineries use food grade 55 gal. drums to ferment in, putting a trash bag over them. The CO2 will fill the trash bag like a hot air baloon! Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back