5 gal fermentation bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks ! regionrat
your my life line !
but im confused with the sorbate is it not ascorbic acid ? And if so do I need to go buy it ?

No it is not ascorbic acid, sorbate is used after fermentation and if you are wanting to backsweeten.

Finally after being able to put water in Carboy I have been able to take an accurate reading and the SG is 1.130. Do I need to add more sugar or is it ok where it is at and I should leave it for a while?

Finally after being able to put water in Carboy I have been able to take an accurate reading and the SG is 1.130. Do I need to add more sugar or is it ok where it is at and I should leave it for a while?

1.130 is high are you sure it is not 1.013?. If it really is 1.130 and ferments dry you will have a little over 16% ABV. Re check it and if it is that high I would put it back in bucket and let it ferment a few more days with lid just placed on top. Stir it hard couple times day. Then check sg and see it it goes down.Then you know it is really fermenting.

RR

Last edited:
Yea that's what I got ... that's what the hydrometer says ... it wouldent be dish a issue but I don't think it will fit in the bucket ... I'm totaly not trying to argue at all ... this is just a question but can I ask why put it back in bucket ? My yeast is only going to tolerate 12-14% alcohol from what I have Ben told .. so yes 16 ½ % is what I'm getting ... I do have a few gallon jugs that I have got stoppers and extra air locks if need be ..

I really know its fermenting because I have silk like bubbles rising up through the carboy and the air lock bubbles once every 2-3 seconds

Yea that's what I got ... that's what the hydrometer says ... it wouldent be dish a issue but I don't think it will fit in the bucket ... I'm totaly not trying to argue at all ... this is just a question but can I ask why put it back in bucket ? My yeast is only going to tolerate 12-14% alcohol from what I have Ben told .. so yes 16 ½ % is what I'm getting ... I do have a few gallon jugs that I have got stoppers and extra air locks if need be ..

No arguing here. Just trying to get this for you. The reason you need to put it back in the bucket is there is A LOT of work the yeast needs to do if your sg is that high. At least a week of fermenting I would guess. It needs the oxygen to do its work. Dont worry if your yeast doesnt handle that high of ABV. You will just have a little residual sugar when it stops fermenting.

Slow down this stuff takes time.

What kind of yeast are you using?

RR

okay, 1116 is good. It can handle up to 18%. The carboy on the left looks like it is going. If you leave it in there it will not get the oxygen it needs to ferment. If you want to leave it in there at least take off the airlock. Leave the airlock off till you get to 1.010 And you stand the chance of it bubbling up through the airlock. I would pour it into primary bucket.

RR

im really new with this wine making ... why dose it need oxygen ? when dose it go the other way and need protected from oxygen? im just trying to wrap my head around it ...

Murray here's you a 5 gal recipe. 10lbs of fruit 9lbs of sugar. 5 Camden tablets, 5 tsp. of yeast nutrients, 3 tsp. Pectin enzyme

Juice fruit put pulp and juice in 5 gal bucket. Put lid on bucket with airlock. Let sit for 7 days. Then strain juice off into another 5 gal. Bucket. Add the other ingredients then fill bucket to top with water. Stir with wood spoon (never use metal why I don't know but every time I do it messes up) put lid on bucket let it thump.

Be forewarned, with presimmon you are going to lose a decent amount of wine to sediment. There is another persimmon thread in this subforum, you might want to read through it:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f45/persimmon-wine-variations-33510/

I have been making persimmon wine for a few years, and it is by far one of the nastiest, messiest and lowest yield fruit wines I have made. I started with 15 gallons last year, ended up with about 9 at the end of it.

Thanks , I've got it going now its almost done I think ... it has Ben racked and starting to clear now..has a good rest to it already iv lost about a gallon and a half dee to sediment.. bit that's just part of it...

Latest posts

Back