5 gal fermentation bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it looks like by rotting the fruit, its breaking down, like you would have added pectin enzyme..
not sure why you cook it at 150 degrees, and then add more water and sugar...
and i would not put the wine in primary under air lock.]
just saying.
where did you get that recipe.

I got it from a old man running a hardware store selling wine suplys ...
Any way to strain or not to strain ... ?

If I were you I would spend a little time reading a few of the threads on this forum. Try searching for a recipe of what you are trying to make. See how others have made out. Then assemble all the ingredients and post on here what your intentions are before you do any thing. See what people have to say then go from there.

As for, 'old man running a hardware store selling wine suplys.' I am sure he is telling you to do thing the way he was taught X years ago. I am sure there will be alcohol in the finished product and it may or may not taste like wine. I am not saying this is a bad thing if that is what you are after. But if you want to make good quality wine then you will have to realize things have changed a little since he was taught.

First off lets see if we can get it to ferment. If so then yes I would pour the must into a strainer bag before the sg gets too low. As soon as you have a good strong ferment going I would stretch a strainer bag over a 5 gal bucket and just pour everything into it and then tie it shut and drop it in the fermenter. Make sure you sanitize everything.

RR

Regionrat you seem to know quite habit ... thank you so much !! I really would like a smooth high alcohol good tasting wine at some point, and be able to reproduce time after time ... I don't mind the labor I just need a simple method... thank you !!!

this may not be the best answer, but it is mine.
when i started out, I tried recipes from all over.
I found one that I really liked, and fit to my time frame of my patience.....i substitue the fruit and qty of fruit only, and use the same of everything else. It may not be the best way, but it has certainly given me 100s of bottles of wine. I consider good...
the only time i change things is when i make a port.

OK thanks ...
Now it has Ben fermintig for two days when should I put it in my carboy ? I'm not sure how to strain it ether the pulp is so so fine ... what's the best way to sanitize a straining bag?

soo... I srrained my pulp I got almost 3 gal of liquid out ... I tried to take a reading but it still rises to top of liquid ..so im going to go ahead and put it the carboy and add water till I reach a reading that I need then fill the rest with beads to get it to top off ... we'll see how this turns out ............. is it possible for the yeast to move through a fine straining bag ?

try to strain a sample through a coffee filter or a tea towel to get sg. Yes yeast will make it through the filter bag.

RR

its completely strained into a nice syrup the hydrometer has gone down a bit but its still unreadable ... this is why im going to put it in the carboy and ad water

thanks man! I was waiting on you ;) btw I didn't realize you were a Hoosier too

thanks man! I was waiting on you ;) btw I didn't realize you were a Hoosier too

Np, as fermentation winds down it should start to clear. Keep en eye on the airlock. When it slows down to a bubble every 30 sec or so take an sg reading. You are looking for it to drop at or bellow 1.000 and stay there for 3 days in a row. When that happens it is there time to rack again and stabilize. Do you have Potassium metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate?

Yes I live in Whiting. Where are you located?

RR

im at the other end of the state .. a little town you probably never herd of Loogootee .... no I do not have ether but I can obtain it from the old man at the hardware store ...........

from the ol man
ascorbic acid
glycerine
sparkolloid powder
tannin
fermax yeast nutrient
campden tablets

so your saying I need two more chemicals right

oh I guess the campden tabs are Potassium metabisulfite.. guess I should have resurched a lil further

a little more recurch says that ascorbic acid has salts and there called Potassium Sorbate... right ? .. now im getting confused ...

Yes you will need them. Potassium metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate. If he has them get both. If not we can show you where to get the m online. You can use campton tabs but most people on here use the powdered stuff. You have a few day to pick that stuff up. It is also good you have sparkaloid, you will need that soon also.

You are getting there!

RR

thanks ! regionrat
your my life line !
but im confused with the sorbate is it not ascorbic acid ? And if so do I need to go buy it ?

thanks ! regionrat
your my life line !
but im confused with the sorbate is it not ascorbic acid ? And if so do I need to go buy it ?
No worries..

Ascorbic acid is not sorbate. Yes you will need some....

RR

Latest posts

Back