5 gal fermentation bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murray

Reaction score
So I'm making a batch of persimmon wine and I've made several batches the old southern country way ( putting mashed fruit in carboy add 12 lbs of melted sugar put a package of fleshmans yeast .. activated with hot water and topping off carboy with water and air locking ... then leave alone till no more bubbles are present... now with that bing said I'm trying the method with a primary .... (bought up a bunch of bottles of chemicals and a hydrometer) my 1 gal recipe calls for 3 lbs of persimmon pulp and 7 pts of water witch is fine but all I have is a five gal bucket and a five gal carboy so I'm taking the recipe times 5 to suit my carboy my real question is do I really need all that water in the primary because if that's the case its over five gal

ForumRunner_20130929_100731.png

first thing I would do is get a bigger primary fermenter one in the 10 or 20 gallon range. granted you can add less water to the present recipe to match your 5 gallon bucket but during fermentation the must will rise above the edge of the bucket all over the floor. the fruit will also release liquid plus the water you add will eventually result in five gallons. if you do not want to purchase another fermenter or you cannot wait make only a 3 gallon batch.

OK thanks ! I had the pulp frozen and I left about 4-5 inches from the top ... my plan is to pour the must into a sanitized fermentation bag in to another sanitized bucket then in to the carboy and top off with water ...

This is not fermenting pleas help I've followed this to a T and I see no progress and its saying 3 days and put in secondary any thoughts .... maybe bad yeast ? What do I do pleas help I pulled a lot of strings to gain my pulp

IMG_20130929_100728_983.jpg

What yeast are you using? What temp are you fermenting at?

Oh I'm free king out I wouldn't be as worried but its in my primary I'd hate to have to throw this must out :s

Did you rehydrate the yeast? Use two pints water.
Use warm water, no higher than 106 degrees and add a tablespoon of sugar.

That should get going pretty quick and then add that to your must.

Yes I used warm lime juice and a spoon of sugar ... should I assume. That the yeast is dead it got a little foamy but not like I have seen bread yeast foam (that's all I've ever used) ?should i try another packet of lavlin in yeast? This is the first time I've messed with wine yeast.

Last edited:
What was your starting SG?

What is it today?

Tha's the only thing you need to be concerned with at this point.

SG two days ago was 1.140 I'll have to check tonight ... will I screw it up if I go ahead and strain my pulp and transfer to my secondary .that way ill have the corect amount of water ...the try adding a new pack of yeast mixed with warm water and a little nutrient ? Thanks !

So I have done two things so far since I have got home one take a reading with the thick pulp and it has gone from 1.140 to 1.120..... so I strained a bit of it to see what the reading would be and the hydrometer floated to the bubble !!!! I've got to do something at this point ...I'm thinking strain all my must put it in the carboy and fill with water then take another reading and then restart my yeast ??? Please help !!

Is this sitting in a carboy or a bucket?

What is the volume of must you have?

What is the current sg?

Did you say you used lime juice to rehydrate your yeast?

RR

Yes it is a bucket my secondary is a 5 gal glass carboy..volume of must ? I have about 4.5 gallons of pulp,sugar ,some water and all other ingredients except Camden tablets. Yes I started the yeast with warm lime juice and a few tspns of sugar.
With the pulp the current SG is 1.120, the little amount that I did strain out to take a reading is unmeasurable on the hydrometer.... the bubble end of the hydrometer is floating.

Yes it is a bucket my secondary is a 5 gal glass carboy..volume of must ? I have about 4.5 gallons of pulp,sugar ,some water and all other ingredients except Camden tablets. Yes I started the yeast with warm lime juice and a few tspns of sugar.
With the pulp the current SG is 1.120, the little amount that I did strain out to take a reading is unmeasurable on the hydrometer.... the bubble end of the hydrometer is floating.

When I was starting out I did a Cranberry that I ground up the berries to make the must. I had to take a sample and run it through a coffee filter to get rid of the solids to get a sg reading.

I dont understand why you used lime juice. I am thinking using it killed the yeast.

Your sugar is fine. A little high, but it is okay.

Pour it back into your bucket if it is in the carboy. Crush 4 campton and put them in the must.

The next day do the following;

Make a new starter. Couple Tbls sugar, 1/4 tsp nutrient (if you have it, if not no biggie) and cup luke warm water. Sprinkle the yeast on top and do not stir. Watch for the foam to let u know it is active and pour it into your must.

Put the lid on but do not snap it down. It needs the oxygen. Try to keep it in the 65 to 75deg range.When you see signs of fermentation stir it hard twice a day. Dont worry too much about getting sg readings for the first few days. As long as you see it bubbling you are okay.

RR

Last edited:
Thank you so much I will do just that !! This is the method the wine shop have me ... I figured wine yeast needed acid to spawn so I thought lime juice was close to orange .. lesson learned !!! Thank you so much !!

IMG957523.jpg

IMG_20131002_220256_736.jpg

No problem.

Most people when using fruit freeze it solid. Freezing it allows the ice crystals to break down the fruit. Then let it thaw then put it in strainer bags. Doing it this way you can extract all the fruit has to offer.

I use paint strainer bags. You can pick them up in the paint department at Lowes or Home depot. They come 3 in a package and are fairly inexpensive and sturdy. Pick up a 5 gal bucket also. Look at the bottom and make sure it is food grade.

RR

Do I need to strain that bucket of pulp or do I put it in secondary carboy ?

Back