Other $39.00 vino italanio 4 week red wine kit ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can oak during bulk aging, should you desire the added flavor and tannins.

I made one, the Riesling and it came out great. I am making the Borolo now.

My friend makes these all the time. He has some videos he put up on YouTube making them.

I have the advantage of working with him, so I can ask him questions, but he has a lot of stuff online, too.

In fact, I got started because he gave me a few bottles of different wines he made, and as it turned out some of them were Vino Italiano and they were great.

He lent me some equipment and I made by first kit. I kind of liked the process and ordered some equipment and my second kit, which I am making now. Granted, I don't have a whole lot of experience with wines, other than I know what I like, but I have to say the Vino Italiano wines I have tried, both the one I made and the bottles he gave me, were great!

I made the kits by modifying the directions, like he said to on his website. Here is his Tuscany Rosso Magnifico directions and videos. I am making the the Barolo kit, but he said that if I follow the directions for the Tuscany Rosso Magnifico, the results will be good...

One of the things was to use less water. I hope this helps.

I also have a Chilean merlot on the way from this maker can't wait! Got a better price than the cab on it too!

Peaches I missed the oak question, None of these kits come with oak.
I started mine 2/26 and it is DONE!! Very fast fermentation.

To whom ever added the Alex. conc., that does slow it down. I would add some nutrient and wait.

Here are my notes on my batch.

Batch ID Cab Sauv
Other ID Vino Italiano
Variety Red
Must Type Paklab
Source Ebay
Batch Size 23 L
Cost 39
Start Date Feb 26, 2014
Measurements

Sugar Feb 26, 2014 SG 1.101

Additions
Feb 26, 2014
2 lb sugar
3/4 cup Light toast oak - boiled with water
1 Tbs Nutrient
5 lb Maquette skins
1 tsp Peptic enzyme

Mar 01, 2014
3 tbs tannin
1 lb raisins

Fermentation
Start Date Feb 26, 2014
End Date Mar 3, 2014

Yeast/Culture Alcoholic Fermentation 71 B -1122

Rackings
Mar 01, 2014 SG 1.008 Added raisins and tannin
Mar 03, 2014 Removed raisins sg 0.993 taste hint of floral, leaving under argon in 6.5 carboy for a week.

Last edited:
I know good thing I had a couple extra packages of oak on the shelf I also had a quick fermentation without the yeast nutrient. I added a 46 oz can of alex cab and water to about 6 gal. Added 1/4 tsp tannin and 1/4 tsp acid blend may add 1/4 tsp nutrient to secondary original sg 1.130 figured since I was gonna leave it age in glass for about a year and evaporation I will be adding more water later and 1.000 for a couple days before secondary I had added oak in a straining bag before fermentation and took it out too soon so I added some more oak to the fermentation the day after I removed it but just sprinkled it in.

they keep raising the prices cuz we keep buying them!! I was thinking about buying the cab for 39 and when I got around to it it had gone up to 53 but I got the Chilean Merlot for 45. And I'll be tweaking that one too

hey anyone know what the acid titration should be on this kit Italian Cabernet. Since I tweaked it don't know if I should add some more acid blend or not. I already added 1/4 tsp of acid blend and it's currently at .5%

I made the red zin almost exactly like that and it is very nice.
First post on this forum...and I have to add my $0.02
Just got done bottling a Zinfandel Blush...and I must say that it turned out pretty darn good. Wife and I had a few different test glasses to find out how sweet we wanted it before I did the entire batch. I saved a small jar of it (yes jar, I'm from GA) and forgot about it...my wife took it down to the neighbors house and gave them a sample...was a big hit. Its still "green" so Im letting the batch sit in the cool basement to age before I start handing it out.

Also I have Tuscany Rosso (with oak), Passion Fruit (from Home Winery) and a Apfelwine going at the moment.

20140226_105133.jpg

20140226_105152.jpg

20140226_111443.jpg

20140305_205952.jpg

Last edited:
As I may have mentioned earlier, I am new at this. I just completed the kit and have got 4 gallons ageing in a 4 gallon plastic water bottle. What should I expect for results? Is glass that much better?

I was pondering rather not to purchase this kit and then I noticed the price was going up so I made an offer of $45.00 and it wasn't accepted I ended with paying 58.00 and was reading all these post on here how thin it was so I ordered 46 oz of sun country cab plan on adding that and I have some cacao nibs and oak already I might try them all in this kit maybe making the kit and the sun country separate at first to check out the smell of the kit. I can see now why they were raising the price-everyone was buying it! lol I got the cacao nibs on a closeout special planned on adding to my port I think it's time for a lil experimenting what do you think? Anyone? thanks for the advice, first time doing a lil fixer upper

well my lil fixer upper needs help! I mistakenly doubled up on the yeast nutrient:se This was not intentional meant to put only 1 tsp of yeast nutrient in secondary but instead my notes say that I added 2 tsp. the sg is now at.998 I started this kit 2/24/14 racked into secondary 3/3 It fermented with med oak. Will degassing it take care of the extra yeast nutrient?

What do you mean by "take care of the extra yeast nutrient"?

You should be fine, although there currently may be a taste of the nutrient. I would imagine that will fade over time though.

thanks Jim. I meant dissipate it in anyway but I figured it would be ok since I plan on aging it for sometime before bottling it

Peaches,
Most folks recommend not adding any nutrients once the must is <50% sugar break as the yeast may not completely metabolize it beyond that point and the remaining nutrient in the wine may serve as nutrition for beasties other than yeast. I'd recommend you be especially diligent in your sanitation moving forward and you'll probably not have any issues.

Peaches,
Most folks recommend not adding any nutrients once the must is <50% sugar break as the yeast may not completely metabolize it beyond that point and the remaining nutrient in the wine may serve as nutrition for beasties other than yeast. I'd recommend you be especially diligent in your sanitation moving forward and you'll probably not have any issues.

Is it better to go with adding all the nutrient before fermentation as I was doing before or 1/2 before fermentation and the other half couple days into fermentation?

It's my understanding that since most yeast nutrients are based on inorganic nitrogen (DAP) and are therefore absorbed quite quickly, its best to split it into a couple of doses, one at the onset of fermentation, the second at about 33% sugar break.

It's my understanding that since most yeast nutrients are based on inorganic nitrogen (DAP) and are therefore absorbed quite quickly, its best to split it into a couple of doses, one at the onset of fermentation, the second at about 33% sugar break.
ok thank you!

Latest posts

Back