2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I pulled the trigger this morning and put my order in with the Washington Winemakers. Going with 4 lugs and a bucket of OVZ. That should make about 5 cases of decent wine.

I've been toying with the idea of adding some berries (blackberries and raspberries) to a wine. Thoughts?

No thoughts on the berries for the Zin but glad you chose WW, have a chance to see you again.

With a Lodi OVZ, I wouldn't add anything.

Hope to see you at the pickup in a few weeks.

Jim, did you decide what you were going to get yet. I'm giving S&S till tomorrow to publish their prices. Then will placing my order. Still not exactly sure what though. That's boatboy Jim, It's clear what jgman Jim is getting.

Jim, did you decide what you were going to get yet. I'm giving S&S till tomorrow to publish their prices. Then will placing my order. Still not exactly sure what though. That's boatboy Jim, It's clear what jgman Jim is getting.

Cab, Zin, Syrah, Petite Sirah.

Cab, Zin, Syrah, Petite Sirah.

Right now I'm thinking Cab Franc, Petite Sirah, Tempranillo and Sauv Blanc from grapes. I may take Paul up on his offer to stop by Procacci for the Brunello if they are in yet and still hoping for the Tannat. But the Nebbiola and Touriga Nacional look interesting. Final answer tomorrow. I really wanted a Petit Verdot to complete my Bourdeaux selection.

Right now I'm thinking Cab Franc, Petite Sirah, Tempranillo and Sauv Blanc from grapes. I may take Paul up on his offer to stop by Procacci for the Brunello if they are in yet and still hoping for the Tannat. But the Nebbiola and Touriga Nacional look interesting. Final answer tomorrow. I really wanted a Petit Verdot to complete my Bourdeaux selection.

Fred, Let me know. All the premium grapes are in at Procacci.

Thanks Paul. S&S won't have their pricing out till next week so I'm now making my final order with WW. I will let you know soon. I may go with a premium and regular. Do you think the premium Zin is old vine?

That's what I was told, he also said the Prem Zin is at 26 brix, but I was told the same thing from Gino's with the Pinotage in the spring but it was 23 brix. No worries, let me know by saturday evening

It was recommended for me to try a commercial bottle before deciding to make one myself since it didn't appeal to everyones taste. Is there something really different about it?

I think with Pinotage it's gained a bad reputation for many years because it's a highly productive grape and commercially it was produced cheaply and thinly. It's a cross between Pinot Noir and Hermitage. I don't like many Pinot Noir's but when they good they are good. So I think for some it has that aspect about. Plus from what I've read when a Pinotage ferment goes bad it goes bad.(HeatherD). Pinotage benefits from a slighter hotter ferment and not too long on the skins. Pinotage is more full bodied than most Pinot's. So far so good on mine, like it a lot.

Last edited:
Mine is in the mail today. 3 Petite Sirah, 3 Touriga, 4 tempranillo and 3 Sauv Blanc. Possibly 4 Premium Syrah or OVZ from Procacci and still waiting on Tannat. Plus I am going to the S&S cook out on the 15th and see what they have. Doesn't compare to a lot of others but my biggest season to date not to mention first all grape season.

Just finished crushing 4 lugs premium brunello and 4 lugs premium petite syrah from Procacci. According to them the Brunello is old vine sangiovese.

The brunello fruit was nice all the way through.

Petite syrah fruit is nice dark dense clusters, 2-4 partial raisined clusters per lug. Many leaves.

Will get numbers later today or tomorrow. I did add enzymes.

It occurred to me that I put a bunch of supplies in my cart @ MoreWine the other night, but never purchased. Got the rest of my goodies ordered today as well. VP41, Acti-ML, Lallzyme, OptiRed, tartaric acid and yeast/nutrient/starter. BM4X4 for the cab, D254 on the Petite Sirah and RP15 for the Zin and Syrah.

Back