2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my shock at the Lanza Cab soured me initially. Then the WA prices made me put my C/D on Craigslist (kidding). We'll see. From what I've seen, S&S gets Amador Gold grapes. That's what I started with and they did just fine. I love the Lanza, but am leaning toward Amador at this point to try out S&S (only an hour away). If I'm not happy, I'll switch it up next year.

What Cab did you order?
I’m not sure which I’ll be getting, there’s a premium cab I’m on the list for, and it depends upon the yield as to how far down the list they can fill orders. If I don’t get that one, I’ll be getting the same cab that I did some of last harvest, Suisun area IIRC, and is quite good at nearly a year, but still in barrel.

Considering getting my zin grapes this year from Gino's instead of Procacci, but not sure what source to pick if I even can.

Gino's has 5 choice of Old Vine Zin, Lanza and non-old vine. Prices range from 45-58. Lanza being the most expensive.

Are the Lanza grapes better than the others? I would love to look at each offering first(something I haven't done to date) and then decide. But not sure with my micro purchase of 7 -10 lugs that that will be a possibility. Anyone out there examine the grapes before making a decision on what grapes? or should I be satisfied with what ever I get?

Does anyone have experience with Zinderella sourced grapes?

I know it's not a real dilemma, but it's all relative.

LOL, it’s Scott, small price to pay to learn to use the C/D, must adjusting experience, and the several bottles of wine that we’ll permanently retire, and 60+ bottles of wine to boot!!!

I'm ready to learn! Just hope I'm a decent student! JohnD continues to offer his time and experience and I'm quite thrilled for the opportunity to try grapes this quickly!

I don't know Gino's or Procacci but don't you have to preorder from Gino's as opposed to Procassi which I thought was a first come first serve as is S&S which maybe out of your area. At Harford we didn't have the luxury of seeing the grapes before hand. I do like your thoughts on seeing the grapes before you buy.

I don't know Gino's or Procacci but don't you have to preorder from Gino's as opposed to Procassi which I thought was a first come first serve as is S&S which maybe out of your area. At Harford we didn't have the luxury of seeing the grapes before hand. I do like your thoughts on seeing the grapes before you buy.

You are correct, I have to make a decision soon with Gino's. I'm going to call them again.

You are correct, I have to make a decision soon with Gino's. I'm going to call them again.

OK just spoke with Gino's and 7 lugs of Paso Robles Old Vine Zin are on reserve. They recommended those and Amador over the others. No specifics, just consistently better grapes than the others according to them.

For those who like to do a juice pail w/ a lug— what’s your typical volume and routine? 8 gals? In a carboy and couple jugs?
I usually done 1 lug per bucket of juice. Prior to having the brutes I'd split into two buckets for primary.

I usually done 1 lug per bucket of juice. Prior to having the brutes I'd split into two buckets for primary.

No no. I just meant in terms of finished volume to expect. And what vessels your using for aging

I’ve never done just a juice bucket and 1 lug. It’s always been some crazy additions. Like, a half a lug and 100lbs worth of skins. Or few hefty scoops of fresh grapes and a mosti mondiali pack with other skins. But not a straight bucket/lug combo

**i ask because the bucket/lug combo seems pretty standard and popular. But 8 gal finished volume is a funky size. Does 8gal sound about right for vol?

Last edited:
Back