2013 pa fall juices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up my Catawba and vidal from PIWine. Also picked up 6 gallons of bulk cider and 6 gallons of Cherry. Yesterday was a busy day.

Doug, How are you going to do your cherry?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I've never done a cherry wine before. The wines I've tasted I've enjoyed. I used D47 yeast since I had it and I've had good luck with it on fruit wines in the past. I'll likely keep 3 gallons a straight cherry as a semi-sweet and then experiment with what is left over. Any suggestions?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I've never done a cherry wine before. The wines I've tasted I've enjoyed. I used D47 yeast since I had it and I've had good luck with it on fruit wines in the past. I'll likely keep 3 gallons a straight cherry as a semi-sweet and then experiment with what is left over. Any suggestions?

how about taking some an blending with some elderberry? I made an ElderCherry and it is pretty good.

I racked the Concord into fresh carboys yesterday and also racked the Fredonia into a Demi-John. Will concentrate on the Niagra, Diamond and Seyval this weekend.

Racked 18 gallons of Niagra and 6 gallons of Seyval Blanc this evening. I now have 4-6 gallon carboys and 5-5 gallon carboys empty. Just enough to transfer this batch of juice to glass when ready in about a week. I'll bottle the 2012 Chambourcin this weekend so that I can free up an extra carboy. Next racking either the niagra or the concord will take up a larger home in the demijohn.

It looks like I'll be transferring the latest 8 buckets of juice to carboys on Halloween. I took the day off for my daughter's school Halloween Parade but I'll also take advantage of the time for this as well. Over the weekend the Catawba was at 1.000, the Vidal was at 1.030, the Cherry was 1.054 and the Apple was at 1.020. The Cherry may be the only one held off on. I need to re-check sg on that one before I decide.

I managed to transfer the 6 gallons of Apple, 24 gallons of Catawba, 6 gallons of Diamond into glass. The Diamond was from the previous batch of juice that I forgot to transfer. Will transfer the Elderberry in a little bit and the Cherry will be this weekend. It's still sitting at 1.030.

The Catawba went into 3 6 gallon carboys and a 5 gallon. The 6's were more like 6 1/2. I had to use about a quart of my 2 y/o water wine to top up the 5 gallon carboy. It was actually quite decent tasting. That will eventually get mixed with others so the small amount should not dilute the taste at all.

Back