2013 Apple Spice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Well I kicked off another year for my Apple Spice wine today.

Crushed the apples up, got the must ready - will pitch the yeast late tonight or tomorrow morning..

What spices are you adding? Do you backsweeten or ever think of using brown sugar?

I tried brown sugar with my crap apples. I honestly did not like it. Just personal taste - so i didn't want to use it with my apple spice wine..

Julie - have you used brown sugar and did you like it??

I like adding Cinnamon, Ginger, and Nutmeg. I am not adding cloves this year - of much of a harsh spice - the others are a little smoother..

I have always sweetened it to a sweet wine - dessert style.

But I think i am going to go more of a semi-dry this year..

JON,
Are you using store bought apples or have you managed to save them since last fall? Are you pressing them to get straight juice or are you putting the apples directly into the must? My apple wines have a good apple flavor, but I use pure juice. Just wondering if fermenting the apples how much flavor you get and approx. how many lbs of apples you use. Thanks, Arne.

I use 7#'s per gallon of wine.

I bought mine last fall and froze them.

I crush them and ferment with them - then i will press the pulp - which there is a lot of once you crush apples.

Latest posts

Back