2012 Elderberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TwinMaples said:
Congrats on the size of your harvest. That's great! I intend to steam juice some of my elders as well.

Jim

I've found that steaming them you don't have to deal withthe green Goo. I'm planning on checking a few other locations that weren't ripe last week. The birds really did a number on the primary bush since I picked on Tuesday. It would be nice to get a 100 lbs, but that is not likely. I had a lot of dark berries that floated and were full of red juice that I tossed. I really got to second guess that process but ill continue until proven other wise. I'll post if I pick any tomorrow.

The basis of the process is that sugar solutions are denser than water, a higher sugar content in the riper fruit makes them sink. But, if something is fermenting the sugars in the fruit then they might float again, but you wouldnt want them anyway. My wife declared we cant pick this year until there are no greenies on each bunch, she doesnt like to see any floating either, going to be a long summer. Crackedcork

Doug;

Did you ever think of being like Johnny Appleseed but for Eldeberries. don't know if they would start future plants but throw the non ripe berries in some areas you want new plants to start...... Maybe in a few years, might be a forrest of Eldeberries..... Just a thought.

Al

Doug;

Did you ever think of being like Johnny Appleseed but for Eldeberries. don't know if they would start future plants but throw the non ripe berries in some areas you want new plants to start...... Maybe in a few years, might be a forrest of Eldeberries..... Just a thought.

Al[/QUOTE

The thought has crossed my mind. I considered taking a bunch of them down to the Borough Yard and planting them in random locations out in the field. Might have to give it a try.

We came up with an orphan one year where my wife would always pluck them. I transplanted it out back in a garden and within a year I had plants poppoing up everywhere from the runners. I ripped them all out and gave them away. They're a rather ugly plant once the berries are picked.

The idea is to try & start them in some areas that are wooded areas nearby but convient to get to. Not necessarly in your back yard unless you have a lot of acreage not being used. Maybe some public access areas, along the highway, public parks, you know what I mean, they will just appear like magic & no one will care when you start to harvest them........ Unless they ae other wine makers!! :db:HB

Al

The comments above about lacations are perfect. Just one more thought from experience. For some reason just before the berries ripened the highway or utilities company would come along and either cut them down or spray them with a solution that killed the entire bush. This didn't happen every year but it did happen more then once.

The comments above about lacations are perfect. Just one more thought from experience. For some reason just before the berries ripened the highway or utilities company would come along and either cut them down or spray them with a solution that killed the entire bush. This didn't happen every year but it did happen more then once.

LOL, yes they do, dam them!!!!!!!:ft

Also, a moist area
Yes, you can find them along creeks and rivers. Another good spot is by railroad tracks. Like just mentioned, you have to worry about the bushes being sprayed if they are too close to the tracks..

Jim

Lucky you! I've been checking on the wild bushes i found in the spring and they all have BB size berries with no flavor. Last year they were pea sized and very full of flavor. I think this year I'll pass on them and wait for next year.
I've only got about 10 bottles left from last year, i'll save them for this winter.

Picked up my grape juice after work, will start steaming tomorrow morning. I need to go to Costco for more sugar so I may do that on Saturday while ot and about with all my other running around. Hoping to have yeast pitched by Sunday morning..

Started steaming berries today. SO far I have 5-5 gallon jugs, 2-3 liter jugs and another 3/4 gallon of steamed juice. I took the perries post steaming and added 1 1/4 gallons of warm water so far for a 2nd's run. I'm thinking I'll have 30-40 lbs of skins to make a 2nr run of 3 gallons. Will be a very strong 2nd's run. Need to get sugar and 2 more cans of grape concentrate.

Looks great!

Question: How many pounds of elders to produce 1 gallon of juice?

I have some winemaking chores on 10 wines before I can start steam-juicing some of my elders. I was surprised I had so many wines to work on; mostly racking, and half are 1 gallon carboys. Two are ready for bottling; one is chocloate elderberry. I tasted it about a month ago and it was yummy.

My wife needs the freezer emptied as family coming here this fall. Maybe I'll steam-juice next weekend.

Jim

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of cuttings of native elderberries this spring. Not one of them is alive. I have some Black Lace and Black Beauty European plants I bought in pots. I've had the Black Lace 3 years with blooms, but no berries. Then I learned they need another European variety for pollination. That's why I bought the Black Beauty plants this year. Maybe I'll have berries next year. Anybody know if the European elderberries are good for wine?

Looks great!

Question: How many pounds of elders to produce 1 gallon of juice?

I have some winemaking chores on 10 wines before I can start steam-juicing some of my elders. I was surprised I had so many wines to work on; mostly racking, and half are 1 gallon carboys. Two are ready for bottling; one is chocloate elderberry. I tasted it about a month ago and it was yummy.

My wife needs the freezer emptied as family coming here this fall. Maybe I'll steam-juice next weekend.

Jim

When steaming, I found 10 lbs gives you 1 gallon of juice. Steaming the last 20 lbs now.

When steaming, I found 10 lbs gives you 1 gallon of juice. Steaming the last 20 lbs now.
Thanks, Doug. Steamed-juiced some elders Memorial Day weekend, and 21 and 1/2 pounds got me 2 gallons and one 750ml bottle of elderberry juice.

I racked that wine today, and, for 2 1/2 months, it's really good. It has a very strong fruity flaover, a thick consistancy, and starting to smooth out.

Jim

I started 2 6 gallon batches, both had 4 1/2 gallons of elderberry juice. I also took all the steamed berries and rather than tossing I started a batch with that. I'm thinking it will end up around 3 gallons. It is just as dark and flavorful smelling as the other batches. I figured I'd give it a try, all I had to lose was a little sugar and a package of yeast. Time will tell. Yeast was pitched this morning.

Back