2011 Missouri Valley Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Just found out the Missouri has a wine competition!! Think i might enter in my Strawberry Peach.

I would like to enter my Chardonel and Seyval - but they aren't ready yet. I will probably enter those next year though.

$10 entry fee

http://mvws.org/

Lots of grapes grown there in your state, as you probably know. I used to travel between Joplin and St Louis and stop by the roadside fruit stands on the interstate. (The farmers would put the stand up against the fence on their side; tourists would stop along the interstate and buy grapes.)

I remember they were huge, purple grapes and were very sweet and delicious. They were likely table grapes that I tried, but they were really nice. haven't been back through there in many years...

dang, waaaay to soon for anything we have. hopefully there are more in MO later in the year. We have alot of work to do and need time before we can do anything like this.

Good Luck!!!

dang, waaaay to soon for anything we have. hopefully there are more in MO later in the year. We have alot of work to do and need time before we can do anything like this.

Good Luck!!!

midwest, by the time u r ready to enter any competitions, i hope we buy it all up! you better save some bottles for competition!

well, i've looked at their site and they have tons of divisions! i think i may send in my blackberry! u gonna send in your strawberry peach jon?
or are u in a position to drop it off?

well, i've looked at their site and they have tons of divisions! i think i may send in my blackberry! u gonna send in your strawberry peach jon?
or are u in a position to drop it off?

Yup - i am going to drop it off this week. I work downtown STL - about 25 mins from the St. Louis Wine and Beer making shop - and that is a drop off point.

They also do labels - $1.00 per label - i am thinking of entering a couple.

Yup - i am going to drop it off this week. I work downtown STL - about 25 mins from the St. Louis Wine and Beer making shop - and that is a drop off point.

They also do labels - $1.00 per label - i am thinking of entering a couple.

i've never mailed in an entry (the recent wky was my first), any do's and don'ts for mail ins?

midwest, by the time u r ready to enter any competitions, i hope we buy it all up! you better save some bottles for competition!

lol. gotta save some what am going to drink? lol. that and I need to look into a when and where. we still haven't bottled anything!

I won!!!

I won a medal and an award in this competition for my Strawberry Peach wine!!! They are presenting the medals and awards on March 10th.

Not sure at this point what the medal and award is - but i know i won something!!!!

Will keep you posted!!!

Awesome! Congratulations

housethumbsup.gif

Congrats, its going to be shiny, so how did you find out? Crackedcork

I won a medal and an award in this competition for my Strawberry Peach wine!!! They are presenting the medals and awards on March 10th.

Not sure at this point what the medal and award is - but i know i won something!!!!

Will keep you posted!!!

Thanks!!!

I got an email from the president of the Missouri Valley Wine Society telling me that I won.

As far as hearing about the competition - I just googled for Missouri wine competitions.

Alright - so I won a gold medal for my Strawberry Peach and I won a $100 gift certificate for the Hi Score on a Non Grape Fruit.

Thanks for everybody's help through my journey!!!

Congrats 3352. Just curious, how much experience do you have at wine making? With over 2,000 post, I'm guessing years and years.

Congrats 3352. Just curious, how much experience do you have at wine making? With over 2,000 post, I'm guessing years and years.

I have been doing this for 5 years - but when i started - i knew nothing. I didn't have this site to go to for help.

So needless to say it a few years of making some rocket fuel or bad wine before i started figuring out what i was doing.

Each batch and year that went by they got better - found some info online which also helped out.

Then - the best thing that ever happened - I found this forum and joined exactly 1 year ago.. From that point - things took off. Questions i had were answered - the gaps in my recipes began to fill in.

This site has helped me tremendously!!!

Don't think it takes that long to make good wine - it just took me that long b/c i had nothing or no one for help.

Last edited:
good stuff! we've gone down that same route. been on here since aug 09, but figured most of it out before. this site has helped to fine tune things though. going from homemade to commercial has been another leap. i really hope we can compare with our homemade versions. it's not easy.

Latest posts

Back