2 questions on Dave's DB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFruitWines

Reaction score
Hi,
I just started a 4 gal batch of DB following Dave's posted 3 berry recipe. I noticed no campden in the starting must. Just curious as to why. Also, I don't have any yeast energizer. Should I increase yeast nutrient?
Thanks!

Hi,

I just started a 4 gal batch of DB following Dave's posted 3 berry recipe. I noticed no campden in the starting must. Just curious as to why. Also, I don't have any yeast energizer. Should I increase yeast nutrient?

Thanks!

Hi I think the reason no k meta at start is because you are using frozen fruit that is already sulphited and so no need until racking to carboy. Also from what I know the nutrient and energizer is too different things. If you take the amount of nutrient and divide it into 3 separate doses you should be ok I'd think. Just do the 1 tsp of nutrient every 2nd day. Just make sure you stir well everyday and squeeze the fruit! Someone else may chime in on the importance of using energizer.

k meta./campden is used to retart bacteria and a wild yeast.
frozen fruit is usually pasteurized,and most frozen will not have a wild yeast left..they have been washed dozens of times, etc...then IQF ed. I personally never use it until I rack to my second container.
Yeast energizer is like a yeast nutrient on steriods...I helps kickstart a ferment, all though a lot of recipes contain it, it is not required...Just watch your ferment and if it starts to slow in a few days add a little nutrient.
One alternate to yeast energizer is grape nuts...
Mix 1/2 cup grape nuts with 1/2 cup water and nuke for about 1 minute. cool and add to must...It really works well, it will add some umph to a ferment.
Another thing is start using SuperFerment ....It is yeast nutrient/energizer all in one...and works very well.

The third ingredient of Real Lemon is "Sodium Metabisulphite". This is the reason why it can be hard sometimes to get fermentation going.

t
One alternate to yeast energizer is grape nuts...
Mix 1/2 cup grape nuts with 1/2 cup water and nuke for about 1 minute. cool and add to must...It really works well, it will add some umph to a ferment.
Interesting, I never heard that one before. I'll have to give it a try. I have an empty bottle of Yeast Energizer sitting on my desk as a reminder to stop at the Home Brew store and pick some up.....it's been sitting there for two months now.:slp

I cant remember where i found that alternative..It work for a 6 gallon batch of fig wine i made, then I made a peach, and used it...I have stopped using anything buy superferment.

The third ingredient of Real Lemon is "Sodium Metabisulphite". This is the reason why it can be hard sometimes to get fermentation going.

Good point.

This is also one of the reasons why the recipe says to let it sit for 24 hour before pitching the yeast.

I have yet to have a batch (cross fingers) not start up right away, usually a few hours after adding the yeast.

Since I am new to wine making I am curious as to what it is that the lemon juice adds to the wine?

As a side note, the lemon juice adds a great acidic balance to this wine. The slightly tart lemon flavor blends well with the fruit. I have tried a few batches without it (some folks like it that way), but it's not for me. Others have made it with lime or even orange juice.

Thanks for asking, Cowboy.

As a side note, the lemon juice adds a great acidic balance to this wine. The slightly tart lemon flavor blends well with the fruit. I have tried a few batches without it (some folks like it that way), but it's not for me. Others have made it with lime or even orange juice.

Thanks, Dave

odb for me, lemon juice and all ...i just double the fruit.
trying to get enough made now for the summer.
I figure...102 days of summer..is 1 1/2 bottle per day... 2 on the weekend.
i got lots of wine to make...dang you dave.

I can already taste the small mistake I've made with this batch... Last batch I used the normal amt of fruit and sugar but only 40oz of lemon juice. It was perfect for me on the acid note. This time I have more fruit and more sugar and it's not dry yet, I think it's at 1.000 today and it tastes a little flat with only the 40oz of lemon juice... Darn! Can I add a bit of juice near the end of ferment?

Can I add a bit of juice near the end of ferment?

Yeah.. You can even wait a little longer, until after fermentation is completely done, if you want to run TA/pH tests and get it 'perfect' (You might wanna take note what your favorite TA/pH range is, if you'll be making it a lot..)

You'll notice the TA/pH will vary alongside the final sweetening levels.. Lower acidity makes less need for sweetness - it's a balance thing, kinda ties into how much fruit you use as well

Yeah.. You can even wait a little longer, until after fermentation is completely done, if you want to run TA/pH tests and get it 'perfect' (You might wanna take note what your favorite TA/pH range is, if you'll be making it a lot..)

You'll notice the TA/pH will vary alongside the final sweetening levels.. Lower acidity makes less need for sweetness - it's a balance thing, kinda ties into how much fruit you use as well

Thanks so much Deezil! That makes so much sense! I should have done that on my last batch! Didn't think of it cuz nothing really needed tweaking! But that was a great tip and I'll be taking your advice!

Latest posts

Back