Cellar Craft 1st tasting from our 1st kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebelHawk

Junior
Reaction score
Back in Oct 2014 we started our first BSG Cellar Classic Spanish Temranillo Cabernet kit. After following all instructions and then bulk aging our wine for 6 months we sampled our first efforts with the intentions of bottling and storing for another 6 months (or so). We are very pleased with the up front full bodied flavor and mouth feel but the finish has a tart/sour finish to it. It's certainly not undrinkable at this point but I want to see if there are any adjustments we can make before moving forward. We also have a second kit that we are waiting another month before sampling so we will be able to confirm if it was something in our 1st process or just what we should expect from this kit.

As always thanks for the advice.

We are very pleased with the up front full bodied flavor and mouth feel but the finish has a tart/sour finish to it.

Yeah, that is a good description of my young wines. I have not been at this game long enough (a year more than you) to say with absolute certitude, but I feel pretty confident that the taste you identified fades with time. That tart taste is not very evident on my older wines (~18 mos.) , whereas it is prominent earlier. I think patience is a key here.

RebelHawk,
Congrats on your first kit!! Sounds like a good one. Same as sourgrapes, I would give the wine time. It's young, but will be great in a couple of months.
Heather

Latest posts

Back