RJ Spagnols 1st Taste of Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started the ST yesterday. Never have done a kit that came with jars of skins. Only has untoasted oak shavings. Guess I will add a couple Med French spirals later. Any comments on oak?

Tony, I put medium toast American oak cubes in the carboy during bulk aging for about 3-4 months. I like an "oakey" wine and this may not be to everyone's liking.

Can't wait. This thread and especially Wade's comment about this being easily one of the best kits out there made me pull the trigger.

It's getting bad. I just realized that shipping is the same from George at FVW if you buy one kit or two! It'll be two at time from now on!

It's getting bad. I just realized that shipping is the same from George at FVW if you buy one kit or two! It'll be two at time from now on!

You're going to get me into a LOT of trouble with that news...

:dg

Not a promotion. I have never ordered more than one kit at a time and was surprised to see the total for shipping was only $20 for two kits and a few small odds and ends. This is the usual cost for me for one kit to ship from Tx to Ct. Seriously. Two kits at a time now! It saves me $10 a kit!

Unless this was some sort of error, but I doubt it. !

I just looked at an old invoice from several years ago. I ordered 3 kits and was charged $67 in shipping and I am only 700 miles away so something has changed for sure!

I believe brew and wine supply offers $10 shipping per kit so maybe George is matching? I dunno.

FVW is $9.99 shippping for a kit from TX to CT. It was $19.99 a month ago but is showing up as $9.99 now and bears out what my last order showed. (two kits in two boxes and $20 shipping)

I am starting to make this kit right now. I noticed there are two jars of skins enclosed in my kit. Is that correct? The instructions just note "Empty contents of grape skin jar....." not jars. Please advise. Thanks!

Yeah, you get 2 little or 1 big one. Same thing. Just remember to take a cup of water out of your primary to a) rinse out the juice bag, and b) rinse out those jars. Don't wanna leave anything purple out of the equation LOL!

Started this on Saturday, and I'm a little confused on the instructions. The instructions in the kit are the standard 6 - 8 day primary with standard transfer to secondary and then stabilization.

I was just looking through the RJS website and the Winery Series instructions are different, basically taking to dry in primary (about 14 days) and then stabilizing without any secondary step.

I use extended times on all of my kits after primary, but was wondering if there is any reason for the change. Any thoughts on which is the better process to use? Thanks

They want maximum extraction time with the grape skins. Just remember to snap the lid and add the airlock when it slows down to avoid additional unnecessary exposure to air.

I'll be starting a kit over the weekend and noticed the same thing but was going to follow initial instructions instead of the website. Now I'm not so sure. I'm going to start a new topic on this point.

Tony P.

Back