RJ Spagnols 1st Taste of Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugger

Reaction score
Well it's hot here today so after doing some work I decided to go down into my wine room in the basement and read where it's cooler (a Jack Reacher book by Lee Child for those who like them). I looked to see what I might sip on while there and decided to sample my RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan. After reading great reviews on this kit I started one back in Jan and had enough left over from the carboy to fill a 375 split so I poured a glass from that and it surprised the heck out of me! At 6 months it is easily the best wine I have made and I've made a lot of RQ's and LE's. This wine has a huge body, an excellent nose for a kit and lots of taste and I mean lots. I wish I knew how to properly describe a wine but I don't so suffice to say it is great. It's hard to see how it can get any better but it's only 6 months old so I guess it probably will. It will be difficult to let it age and not drink it now.
Anyway thanks to Wade and all of you who praised this kit and convinced me to pay the extra few bucks and try it. I'm a convert. I just started a Winery Series Amarone a few days ago so it will be interesting to see how that fares in 6 months.
I highly recommend the Super Tuscan.

You don't need to convince me, Dugger. It is one of my favorite wine kits and I have made four of them over the past year and a half. I am sure that it will improve over the years but it is so good when it is six to eight months old, we drink it then. Friends and family feel the same way about it. It has to be one of the top 5 kits out there.

Well, you've sold me. Thanks for the review. Now to get through the other kits I have "on deck"...

This one is next up for me too. Well after it cools off anyway.

Nice. Mine has been bulk aging since December. I haven't tasted it since then. About time for a bottling night this week.

I started mine feb 2nd. It's going to be good. I have another one to start as soon as I have a free fermenter.

I felt the same way when I had the first taste of their Rosso Grande Eccellente, its now at 18 months and we had a bottle for our anniversary last week and it just gets better and better. I have the WS cab sav (13 months) and i just started the WS Carmenere (10 days). I'm sold on these kits as well. eventually i will get around to the supper tuscan but with so many choices, i don't know when. Also have an En Primeur Cab sav at 7 months and EP shiraz at 4 days so i'm hoping they are as good as the winery series

Dont wait on getting the Super Tuscan in the fermenter. It is easily the best of the Winery Series and better then most EP's also. If your looking to do an Amarone spend the extra on the EP though as the raison and grape pack really make it as true as a kit can come to an Amarone IMO. Ive tried a few. One I bought and about 5 others as a friend ov mine after tasting mine at the 4 year mark really liked it anx started buying commercial bottles and only 1 has been better and that bottle was $175.00!! The others were no less then $65 anc creaped their way up fast and s few of those fell on their face meaning they sucked!

Thanks, Dugger. We need to hear about such positive results. We are all looking for a good wine and good results.

Dont wait on getting the Super Tuscan in the fermenter. It is easily the best of the Winery Series and better then most EP's also. If your looking to do an Amarone spend the extra on the EP though as the raison and grape pack really make it as true as a kit can come to an Amarone IMO. Ive tried a few. One I bought and about 5 others as a friend ov mine after tasting mine at the 4 year mark really liked it anx started buying commercial bottles and only 1 has been better and that bottle was $175.00!! The others were no less then $65 anc creaped their way up fast and s few of those fell on their face meaning they sucked!

Does the EP come with raisins AND a grape pack? I didn't see that in the description.

Dugger, thanks for the review. I'm considering my next batch, so your review was timely for me. I prefer patience on my wines and I see you're trying it after 6 months. Did you spread out the process or just aged in the bottle? Also, did you tweek anything else?
Tony P.

Dugger, thanks for the review. I'm considering my next batch, so your review was timely for me. I prefer patience on my wines and I see you're trying it after 6 months. Did you spread out the process or just aged in the bottle? Also, did you tweek anything else?
Tony P.

I started the kit in Jan and it is still bulk aging in the carboy but I had some left over and put it in a 375 split under airlock and I finally decided to try that. I'm not sure when I'll get around to bottling it but I'm hoping to age it as much as I can - I usually do 5-6 splits for sampling when I bottle so will be sampling over the next year or so.
I didn't actually tweak it although I did do a complete ferment in the bucket rather than bucket/carboy in the instructions. I also degassed with a vacuum pump, which I find makes a big difference in my wines now; I've been doing that for a year and a half now.

Does the EP come with raisins AND a grape pack? I didn't see that in the description.

Not sure about the EP but the Winery Series Amarone comes with both grape pack and raisins. The grape pack is a tub of jam rather than the dried ones.

As stated above the Amarone comes with both a raisin and a grape pack and unlike the Mosti kits RJS wants you to add both of these.

Started a 2nd Super Tuscan tonight. 1st one was pitched on Feb. 1st. I have high high hopes for these!

This is an awesome kit! Currently doing my 3rd SuperTuscan this year. The first (bottled in Feb) already tastes great!

I bottled mine a few days ago. Tasted great. Probably my best yet. I got 30 bottles out of it. Although I did top up with 3 bottles of Luna Rosa. I am sold on the more expensive kits. My ep shiraz is 2 months old and more to my liking. It might have the super Tuscan beet.

Back