1st Gran Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going to follow the instructions dead on, then the benefits of bulk aging may only serve to delay the inevitable bottling event. If you're in a 'finished state' in a matter of six weeks or so, you're best bet is probably just to bottle. If the instructions note to include the yeast nutrient, do so and keep a steadyeye on the specific gravity. Remember, if your wine is planning on being in the bottle for some time, Mosti normally includes a note for the potential addition of a little K-Meta at the time of bottling to help keep the sulfite levels solid in the bottle for a longer period of time.

- Jim

Bulk aging in the carboy will let your wine age at the same rate . Sometimes when you bottle the wine can age at different rates ( maybe one cork breathes more than another or is exposed to a little different varient in temperature, the wine is in smaller quantities etc. )
I like bulk aging in the carboy if you have the carboys to do so.

BOB

great input guys - I appreciate the tips.

Question - I am making a Barolo and an Amarone - so what do I top off with? I know I should use a "similar" wine, but sheesh, I don't know if I can even find a Barolo here. Any ideas?

Topping off with a Barolo can be expensive, and tough to find (depending where you live). Some people will recommend just using another heavy red.
Personally.... I racked down to a 5 gallon carboy, a half gallon jug, and a bottle.

I agree with above statement as these 2 wines can be very expensive to purchase commercially especially if you need more then one bottle. Using a full bodied red wine will work fine but if you need to use much then a 5 gallon carboy would be more beneficial in the long run and instead of buying 2 for both of these batches you could use 1 to top up the other and then rack the other to the 5 gallon carboy.

Latest posts

Back