1st batch of SP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWineThief

Wine Making Noob
Reaction score
For My first batch of Skeeter Pee I've attempted a Cranberry Lime SP.
The SG is down to .995 re-racked to a sanitized carboy and Ive added the Sorbate and Kmeta and Sparkoloid, However I havent added any of the Cranberry Concentrate or sugar for back sweetening. Couple questions.

1. Do you normally add cranberry concentrate and sugar then begin the clearing process? Or clear it first and backsweeten after?

2. Approx how much sugar will I need for a 6 gallon batch?

3. Will I need sugar if Im adding 12oz of cranberry concentrate per gallon?
Id hate to over sweeten the batch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would allow to clear then add cranberry concentrate and sweeten to taste. Mix a simple syrup (2cups sugar, 1 cup water ratio) heat till disolved, let cool. You will probably need 4 to 6 cups of sugar. Add the syrup to the wine 1/2 cup at a time, stir in and taste. Mine usually end up around 4 or 5 brix. You may need to allow another period of time to clear, depending on the concentrate. I use 4 cans concentrate for 5 gallons and still need to add sugar.

I would allow to clear then add cranberry concentrate and sweeten to taste. Mix a simple syrup (2cups sugar, 1 cup water ratio) heat till disolved, let cool. You will probably need 4 to 6 cups of sugar. Add the syrup to the wine 1/2 cup at a time, stir in and taste. Mine usually end up around 4 or 5 brix. You may need to allow another period of time to clear, depending on the concentrate. I use 4 cans concentrate for 5 gallons and still need to add sugar.

Great, thanks for the help.

Last year I was using a 14 oz. can of Welches cranberry to one gal. of s.P. It was clear when I started and stayed clear. Gave it a good flavor. If you want it a little sweeter you can either add more of the cranberry or add some sugar. Also sweetened with welches strawberry breezin. It made the S.P. cloudy but also gave it agood flavor. Don't know how long it would of taken to clear again, it all disappeared before it cleared up the second time. The strawberry was best with about a can and a half to a gallon. Good luck with it, Arne.

Latest posts

Back